Forum

• Has anyone tried using the "Wi-Spy Spectrum Analyzer"? If it works it looks like a good deal for only $99.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/80ce/

• I bought one awhile back when I started studying for the CWNA and have used it. Seems to work pretty well and it does what they advertise.

It's about the size of a standard jump drive and comes with one of those "card" sized CDs. You can either install the software or run it directly from the CD. It also has some pre-recorded sessions of interference from different types of sources.

-Andrew

• These devices work well for a rough spectrum analysis. Works rather well for the price.

• By (Deleted User)

I bought one just for fun. For a $100.... it's not bad.

I use Spectrum Expert by Cognio. It just flat out rocks.

www.cognio.com

• I just bought one and I think for the price it is outstanding! Highly recommended.

If you don't have $3500+ to spend on an RF Spectrum Analyzer, this is a great option.

• Hi Casey:

The Wi-Spy has low level support for Mac OS X. But I bought one after seeing free Wi-Spy software for Mac OS X from another source:

http://www.cookwareinc.com/EaKiu/

I leave it running on my desktop and see at a glance the last twenty seconds of the 2.4 GHz ISM band depicted as a three dimensional landscape as it scrolls by.

Since Wi-Spy is a USB device it doesn't compete for PC card slots and drivers. I only wish it supported a directional antenna.

The combination is hard to beat for $100. Check it out.

I hope this helps. Thanks. /criss

• By (Deleted User)

I think we all agree.. for $100... Wi-Spy is a steal. I love the little USB guy.

However, I want to re-emphasize that the Cogio product is a real enterprise solution in terms of spectrum analysis.

The $4K price tag will pay for itself in one site survey.

• Agreed. I would also say the same thing for the BVS Systems Bumblebee.

• Thanks for that information, Criss. I may have to get a WiSpy myself.

I have to agree with Mr. Multipath that Cognio (especially on a tablet PC) is a great way to go for professional spectrum analysis on a Wi-Fi network.

Page 1 of 1