Forum

• CWNA Practice Exam C twice makes statements regarding the client and "Load Balancing Requirements" I don't understand.

In one case it says that load balancing reqs are one of the criteria a client would use to reassociate with another access point (i.e. roam) and that roaming is based on RSSI values such as signal strength, SNR, BER, and load balancing reqs.

In another case it says a site survey must include RSSI values such as signal strength, SNR, BER, and load balancing reqs.

Lastly the CWNA Study Guide makes a (very) vague reference to "Load balancing...is configured on both stations and the AP in most cases."

I don't get any of this. What does RSSI have to do w/ load balancing? I see that if there are multiple APs available and the connectivity problems occur with the AP the station is currently associated with, that the station will roam. That might result in some load bancing across the APs or it might make the load more uneven.

I see load balancing as something that is handled on the AP (service provider side), e.g. via a Wireless switch who is aware of the load on and managing the load across multiple APs. All the station knows is that it is currently connected to AP X and if the connection goes bad, there is an AP Y it can roam to. That is not load balancing. The only way a client can make a load balancing decision is if it is aware of the load on each available AP. Even then, if every station had that same information, wouldn't everyone jump to the same AP at the same time? That wouldn't be load balanced either.

any illumination appreciated. The study guide is completely mum on this subject. thanks.

Page 1 of 1