Forum

• Hello All,

How are you ?

I have in my apartment the AP from Netgear in my brother's bedroom, then beside his bedroom is my bedroom and then there's the dinner's room and then the TV room. Well, the range of the AP goes up to the dinner's room, when the signal reaches the TV room it dies and i can not surf on the internet anymore.

I tried extending the network by making a Wireless Firewall Router from Netgear to connect with the AP from Netgear in my brother's bedroom, i tried it wirelessly...setup the same SSID, same channels, no security, just as a lab, however i could not connect them wirelessly and after that i couldn't find options either on the firewall wireless router or the AP to put it on "repeater" mode...

The only thing i could do was to connect both APs and Wrouter by wire, then the range of the network increased up to the TV room, making it a bridge.

However what i really wanted was to connect the AP and wrouter wirelessly...my question is : i couldn't find the option to put them in the repeater mode, does that mean if i want to extend the network i need to buy specific equipment like Wrepeaters instead of APs or Wrouters...

P.S. Wireless Adapters were from netgear USB

thanks for the support,

• If the AP is the connection to internal network, you will have to swap the AP with the wireless router and then have the AP act as a repeater. All NetGear AP's that I know of will act as repeaters, where as NetGear wireless routers do not have that ability.

Please be aware of that a device in repeater mode will need a pretty decent signal to work correctly. Also your effective throughput will be cut in have due to the repeating.

Page 1 of 1