Forum

• Hi!

I'm new to the forums and CWNP but not to the world of wireless. Unfortunately I've learnt most of it the hard way with an 80 AP warehouse deployment (a.k.a multipath hell) and a number of smaller deployments. I'm hoping to take on some exams in the new year.

Anyway, working in a warehouse environment we see lots of Siemens Simatic automation equipment that is built upon their own industrial ethernet stack to offer deterministic access to the network. They also have an industrial WLAN stack, which is built for the same type of thing in the real-time environment. This is available on the Scalence W-700 series access points - see http://www.automation.siemens.com/net/html_76/produkte/050_netzkomponenten.htm , and I beleive they also have a controller based thin AP offering too (HiPath).

Has anyone used the Scalence APs? Any experiences? They certainly appear to be directed at a niche market.

They also have a leaky co-ax offering called RCoax, which is available for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. The specs are impressive, and looks like it is especially suitable for fixed-plane equipment such as monorail systems or lift shafts. I'd especially like to hear if anyone has experience with this. I plan to order some to test with as it promises to solve some of our more challenging coverage requirements, particularly within material handling equipment.

Thanks for the great site, it's a shame I didn't find it sooner.

• Hi,

I use the W788-2RR together with the HiPath controller solution for outdoor usage and I could say that is really working great.

Haven't used it indoor yet as I use the normal indoor APs for that function.

Cheers,
    Ron

• Hi Ron,

I take it you use the Siemens/Chantry APs inside the buildings, also controlled by the same HiPath controller.

Do you find that Siemens are commited to the products that have been acquired from Chantry (controller and enterprise APs) ?

With the addition of the Scalence APs this blend of office/warehouse/rugged APs could be a good mix for the type of deployments I am involved with, all operating from a single point of management.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1