Forum

• Hello,

I have been running into a rather alarming situation with the newer DLink client adapters. It appears the all of the users will have to have local admin rights in order for the wireless client adapter to work.

This is what I got from DLink:

"Unfortunately all users of the wireless card must have administrative accounts on the computer. If they do not have administrative accounts they may connect to the wireless but after 1 minuet or less they will drop the wireless connection."

This maybe OK for home networks, but it will force SOHO operations to look elsewhere for their client adapters, at least I will.

I also found the same response from DLink plus some additional information on another forum I frequent MR&D, by a member whom I consider a very knowledgeable source:

"Not only do you have to have admin rights to use the wireless LAN, but the access settings are stored per user, not per machine. So as soon as a new user logs on, they are disconnected from the network until they can enter their own network settings.

Nice security, but not as useful as it could be - and of course with the machine logged off the WLAN, there's no way for an administrator to log in remotely to fix things."

So there you have it, not a good thing and I see many SOHO environments where this will become a difficult issue to trouble shoot.

• You can have a small domain in a SOHO and add the "Domain Users" into the Administrators group at the local pcs. In this case no matter which login the client uses, client has local admin rights to the pc.

Do it at your own risk. You can have strict Group Policy to allow what a domain user can do or not to restrict unauthorised usage.

• Still the point is that all of the users have local admin rights. Also you would have to be extremely careful as to what policy settings you restrict as they maybe the ones that break the wireless adapter's application.

Also, what you suggested is predicated on the fact that the SOHO operation has AD setup, and that is not a very common situation.

It is just another example of vendors not working together to come up with a common solution.

Page 1 of 1