Forum

• Wassup guys!
    Some of the APs let you decide which authentication method(open system/shared key) to use when you enable the WEP security.
    What really interested me is what will happen if the AP uses open system/WEP and the client side uses shared key/WEP?
    Will association and network traffic succeed?
    Hope someone can help. Thanks.

• Association will fail. OS Auth is a 2-way handshake, whereas SK Auth is a 4-way handshake. They are very different.

Devinator

• devinator Escribi?3:

Association will fail. OS Auth is a 2-way handshake, whereas SK Auth is a 4-way handshake. They are very different.

Devinator

Hi Devinator,
    So is it true that both the AP and client have to use the same authentication type when WEP security is enabled on both side?
    Thanks for your reply.

• By (Deleted User)

yes, that's correct.

• Sorry I forgot to mention what I've seen here.
    Actually the configuration I mentioned in the previous post works.
    So I'm pretty confused right now. I used to think that both side should use the same type of authentication in order for them to communicate with each other. I was guessing this might be AP's bug but then someone told me it's not. So I need some comments on this.

• If you've seen this work, it's either a bug or one/both devices are trying both. They aren't compatible auth methods.

Devinator

Page 1 of 1