Forum

• Hello,

I m having a hard time to find a simple Wireless Sniffer that shows how my access point and the wireless card process their packets/frames on Windows XP.

Is there a simple program that i could use to see this process with my regular Netgear W111 card ?

I have downloaded a few trials but all needed the sensor with it.

P.S. I am not Linux Literacy, so the version should be in Windows.

I would like it to help in my studies see the wireless talking in practice...

I have downloaded Ethereal and Wireshark but can't see the 802.11 packets...

If any information, please let me know...
    thanks

• Download the WildPackets Omnipeek Personal. I have used it to view 802.11 b/g frames and packets. It is not a spectrum analyzer, it is for sniffing the air. make sure you are not near the restroom when you begin sniffing X-D

http://www.wildpackets.com/products/omni/omnipeek_personal/overview

I use it with a Cisco card, but you will have to make sure you are using a compatible NIC (http://www.wildpackets.com/support/omni/omnipeek_personal/wireless)

One caution, make sure you switch to the WildPackets driver before opening the utility or your computer will hang (took me a system rebuild before I figured this one out)

Needle

• Hi Needle ,

I install it last night it works good, however like you mentioned i can not use internet and run it simultaneously. You mention to switch to Wildpackets driver, how do i do that ?

thanks

• I am not aware of a way to do this as the radio card is being transformed into a listening device and not a transmitting device. I have to manually switch drivers back and forth when I want to do sniffing and when I want to act as a cleint. If anyone else knows how, please post.

the process I use for switching drivers is as follows:
    Open your network Connections panel > right click on wireless card and select Properties > click the "configure" button for the card > Select Driver tab > Select "update driver" > Select "No" for the windows update screen > select "install from a list or specific location" option > choose the "don't search" option > select the appropriate driver > Finish

Needle

Page 1 of 1