Forum

• How are site surveys with lots of elevation and valley changes within the area handled. Has anyone come across this issue

thanks

• By (Deleted User)

My thoughts and observations:

Most networks are surveyed by use of drive testing or even walk testing (I prefer an ATV).

Some engineers will set up a transmitter or several transmitters in strategic locations then drive around to find out how far the wireless signals reaches outdoors reliably.

Then they go back to the design table to predict the optimum number and placement of nodes, that is based on available data from the drive test and the terrain maps.

That said, most metro surveys are conducted using the predictive planning software for outdoor use. EDX Signal Pro is exceptional for this purpose. It provides key information based on the demograhics, clutter and terrain. From the data collected, from the predictive software, the network is installed, QCed and optimized based on drive tests.

Wireless Valley, AirMagnet and Ekahau have outdoor capabilities as well. (GPS)

• RL,

I attended a great webinar from AirMagnet which is now archived for download. You can access the archived webinars at http://www.airmagnet.com/news/archived_webinar.php

Here is the description from the website.

Mar 29, 2007 [How to Do Outdoor and Metro Surveys with GPS]
    Performing WLAN site surveys for outdoor coverage used to be a very time consuming and tedious chore, resulting in less than accurate results, usually needing to be stitched together manually with a map. With AirMagnet Survey Pro, this has all changed. Supporting fully integrated GPS measurements, and interfaces to Microsoft MapPoint and Google Earth, outdoor and metro coverage surveys can now be done quickly, accurately and results displayed in comprehensive graphical reports. Learn how all these pieces fit together and pick up some techniques from our extensive experience to make your outdoor surveys professional and impressive.

Needle

• By (Deleted User)

Also see this article by Wireless Guru, Jim Geier.

http://www.muniwireless.com/article/articleview/5888/1/2/

Page 1 of 1