Forum

Cell overlap

1 posts by 1 authors in: Forums > CWNA - Enterprise Wi-Fi Admin
Last Post: May 28, 2007:
  • Hi leomezza,

I just read this whitepaper. Ascom is one of the leading vendors in the wVoIP market, so I would say that they are likely correct. I have searched for other whitepapers that contradict their stance, but haven't found any. I have found information that approaches the same topic from a different angle, such as this one from Spectralink (now PolyCom):

http://www.spectralink.com/files/literature/NetLink%20Best%20Practices_01.pdf

To provide reliable service, wireless networks should be engineered to provide signal strength of -70dBm or stronger in all areas where NetLink wireless telephones will be used. Although NetLink handsets may operate at signal strengths weaker than -70dBm, real world deployments involve many RF
    propagation challenges such as physical obstructions, interference and multipath effects that impact both signal strength and quality. Engineering radio frequency (RF) coverage to -70dBm or stronger provides an adequate buffer for these propagation challenges.

Our documentation has been based solely on documentation of non-realtime, data-only networks. wVoIP deployments play by an entirely different set of rules as any wVoIP vendor will attest to.

If Ascom says use 10dB as the rule for deployment of their equipment, I would go with their recommendation. If Ascom would like to work with us regarding updating of any information that they have found in our materials that they feel is outdated given new deployment techniques and technologies, we're game. The CWNP Program is basically open source education.

Devinator[/quote]

Page 1 of 1