Forum

• GT, Thanks.

My question was trigerred after reading "802.11 wireless network site surveying and installation" by Bruce Alexander (from Ciscoress). In it on page 132-133 there is a discussion on Receiver desensitization and Dual radio Access Points. It basically discusses the PROBLEMS you would have in a scenario where you tried to deploy a dual radio access point with both radios say oerating in 802.11g (one on channel 1 and other on channel 11).

It shows that at the acccess point the signal from the radio on say channel 1 would also spread into channel 11 with a signal strength of around -70dBm.

This made me think then obviously the channel 11 radio would be able to pick this up (as it is a valid 802.11 signal and it is at a good signal level) and it would arbitrate with the radio on channel 1.

So, if you were trying to get more throughut by doing this in the first place, then you would't actually succeed!!

I have dual radio access points and I am trying to see if this is a neat option to increase the throughut available in my cell area. So far I think not, as the access points are not recommended for use in this way (intended for .b/g and .a use, not both .b/g). However, the best advice I have come accross is that if you are going to do this then using external antennas to seerate out the radios by at least a metre or so will work better!!!

What do you think? (personally I am tending towards avoiding the use of these dual radios even with external antenna to create seeration between radios).

Page 1 of 1