Forum

• I would like to know everyone's thoughts on the best software for performing site survey modelling pre install and for live surveys post install.

I have been looking at Ekahau and Airmagnet, both are pretty expensive, though I will invest if it's the right program.

Are there any alternatives, maybe with less features ?

What's everyone using ?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

-Neil

• By (Deleted User)

I have used both and I like Ekahau. I am sure you will find other people who like AirMagnet over Ekahau. Both are fine programs.

• I like AirMagnet Survey with the Planner addition. Pretty slick stuff.

Just my opinion. I don't think you would go wrong either way. It is just like anything else once you purchase one the other will come out with a bell or whistle that you would like to have :)

• I like AirDefense Architect, no small wonder. However, it really is a great product.

• Hmm, looks interesting - what does that cost ?

Ekahau seems to be over 4000 euros here in europe.

By the way, any recommendations as to the best laptop PCMCIA card ? I hear Orinoco are good.

-Neil

• I have been using the Ubiquiti card for almost two years now with great success. It is an Atheros chip set card wint external MMCX connectors. As for pricing, I leave that to the sales staff. I'll send you a PM with contact information. If you attend an official CWNP class you get a FREE copy of Mobile.

• Many thanks, Bryan.

-Neil

• By (Deleted User)

The best WLAN card has changed in recent years, and I would have to agree with Bryan, Ubiquiti cards look really sweet, and with the highly supported drivers that come with the card, you can use it with virtually any spectrum analyzis software and WLAN troubleshooting software package/Site Survey software, like Ekahau, AirMagnet, AirDefense, AirTight, AirWave and many more!

Proxim Orinoco cards were, at one time, the card of choice for site surveys because of the well supported Hermes chipset and external antenna connector on the cards, and are still widely used, but other higher power output cards (like ubiquiti) that have the newest chipsets and are widely supported are outpacing the Orinoco solution, that no longer uses Hermes chipset but has switched to the lower cost Atheros chipset.

It really comes down to functionality and before you pick your card, you should pick your software and then check their hardware compatibility list to make sure your card of choice is supported.

Cheers, and good luck! By the way, I currently use the Orinoco B/G Gold Card, 3Com X-Jack A/B/G card and Cisco 352 wireless B card with mmcx connectors and look forward to trying out the ubiquiti line soon.

• Codeman,

This is some of the best advice I have seen here.

"It really comes down to functionality and before you pick your card, you should pick your software and then check their hardware compatibility list to make sure your card of choice is supported."

So mant people buy hardware first and then are limited in the choice of the software, which is why they wanted the card in the first place.

• Yes, good points.

On the ekahau compatibility list:

http://www.ekahau.com/products/client/recommended_wlan.html

So, a bit of research to be done.

Thanks again, guys.

Page 1 of 2