Forum

• Hi folks.

I have a customer with two distinct wifi networks, one for data and one for the Audio-Visual remote controls. There are clashes and problems running each network in close proximity, so I have been asked to replace the two linksys access points (one per network) with a single Cisco Aironet, one access point with different ssid's for each network. (This scenario is the same in several rooms, so in all we replace 8 linksys with 4 Cisco).

I would like to ask if anyone has any comments on that.

Secondly, I want to use the flat panel antennas rather than omni's, and would like to ask for advice there. The antennas seem to have only on connection, are you supposed to use just one with no diversity or two flat panel antennas ?

The reason for this choice is the fact that the access points are installed on a wall and only need to give out in an arc in one direction.

The final point I have is re cabling - in use it Cat5e FTP, but it's not grounded. I am still looking for definitive info regarding the best practices for shielded cable. My view is that if it's not grounded, then better to use UTP, but it seems the default over here is to pull shielded CAT5e and CAT6 without grounding.

Any advice or pointers to easily understandable resources welcome.

Many thanks,

Neil

• I know you are talking Cisco products but I might suggest using the Ruckus Wireless access points. Such as the 2925 or the 2942. There have been some good comments on this site regarding the Ruckus gear. The AP?¡é?€??s perform very well with voice, data, video. Very good antenna performance and this should be a less costly solution.

I could understand your client having issues with the Linksys under heavy traffic use. I had a client with similar issues and we resolved them with Ruckus.

It does sound like a good application for multiple SSID's

rwilhelm
    CWNA, CCNA, MCP

• Which model Cisco WAP are you looking at? I have deployed hundreds of the 1230 but not many of the other models. Another question would be how many users are looing to have on each WAP? And what types of applications will the users be using on the network ie. downloading, streaming video, web surfing?

• I would dedicate the A band for the AV and the G band for the data. Just map the AV to the A radio and the Data to the G. Keep in mind that you might have to run a site survey since the coverage for the A band will be smaller than the G. You won't have any clash between the two wifi network using this approach.

Regarding the Patch antennas, it comes in two flavors:
    1) Patch (2460)
    2) Diversity Patch (2465)

Page 1 of 1