Forum

• I am studying for the CWNA and I read about creating Multiple SSIDs. I looked at a couple of APs and I did not see and option to do this. My question is do you have to create multiple SSIDs on the AP or the switch.
    I am confused!

Thanks for the help

tpasi

• Not that I'm aware of but we have Dual-Band AP that's capable of running 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

• What APs have you tried?

Generally this is a feature of a business-class access point vs. a consumer-grade access point. However, some of the Linux-based consumer-grade APs can be flashed to support this as well.

• Most enterprise class Access point have upto 16 ESSIDs supported by one radio , means they have to have a block of 16 MAC addresses to support that, some APs also support 16 ESSIDs but only 4 BSSIDs means you will only see 4 beacons ( every 25ms you will see a beacon out of the AP)that also mean the same radio can support multiple forms of security per ESSID.

• So you mean a you can configure multiple SSIDs on a Dual AP?

• Dual radios have nothing to do with multiple SSIDs. You can assign both radios to a single SSID, or each radio to multiple SSIDs.

• I have a 3com 7760. Are there any tutorials on how to configure an AP to multiple SSIDs?

Thank you guys for all the input and you patience in helping me under this.

• The 3Com 7760 does support multiple SSIDs. The user guide is here:

http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/wireless/3crwe776075/3Com_AP7760_User-Guide.pdf

• I am trying to set this up on the Cisco Aironet 1240. I am also having some problems, so if anyone can help, please let me know.

Can you run multiple (in our case, 2) SSID's without a VLAN capable switch or an Access Point Controller ?

Any advice appreciated.

• Different APs treat WLAN to VLAN mapping different. E.g. Motorola allows multiple WLANs to map to a single subnet, while Cisco limits mapping to a 1-to-1 ratio.

If you plan to use multiple VLANs, all you devices will need to offer multiple VLAN support. This means going with some kind of managed switch. Today these can be purchased for very little money.

Please review this link to understand more about Cisco WLAN to VLAN mapping:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.2_13_JA/configuration/guide/s13vlan_ps4570_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

Page 1 of 2