Forum

• Thanks, Casey - that's exactly what I am looking for.

Do you know if the linksys managed switches will work ?

All as we have is 4 access points and we need to share the network from them so that the Data (pc) network is on one ssid and the sound system remote controls are on another.

I'll read the document and see if I can work it out (hopefully we can do this without getting into CLI...)

Of course, any other tips very much appreciated.

• We've made Linksys managed switches work with Motorola equipment, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, you should be able to do everything from the GUI. ;-)

• OK, here's a curve ball...

How about connecting to the internet via a gateway, which is, I am afraid to say, a windows XP machine with a shared internet connection.... (sometimes ADSL, sometimes 3G dial up).

Research show that we need a VLAN aware router....

At the moment, the data network and the AV network are on the same IP subnet, so I need to look at the VLAN set up - obviously, different ranges are required.

If the VLANS are all on different IP ranges,

(Strange set up, I know..).

Anyway, what are the implications of getting internet ?

• neilmac Escribi?3:

OK, here's a curve ball...

How about connecting to the internet via a gateway, which is, I am afraid to say, a windows XP machine with a shared internet connection.... (sometimes ADSL, sometimes 3G dial up).

Research show that we need a VLAN aware router....

At the moment, the data network and the AV network are on the same IP subnet, so I need to look at the VLAN set up - obviously, different ranges are required.

If the VLANS are all on different IP ranges,

(Strange set up, I know..).

Anyway, what are the implications of getting internet ?

Your windows machine might support 802.1q. I have looked into that setup recently. I had Intel nic card on the machine so it was quite easy to set up using the intel gui.

Page 2 of 2