Forum

• I have a wireless network setup for a customer. It is an outdoor wireless setup. The area consists of 4 mobile homes arainged in a square formation. There are two ap's installed diagnally from each other, one on channel 1 and the other on channel 11. Each is using one 5.2dBi omni antenna mounted 10' high. There is a courtyard in the middle with a table. At the table which is about 20' from either antenna the best I can get is 18Mb with fair quality (17dB SNR).

The ground was some sort of crushed rock, 6" deep and quite wet. The ground was saturated.

Any idea why signal was so bad at such a close ranged? Could the saturated ground be soaking up the signal?

I ran Airmagnet, both spectrum analyzer and WLAN ananlyzer and found no sources of interference and no obvious trouble with the connection.

Seth

• Hi seth,

If the other near by the antenna field is the same 「fair」signal as the table get, I suggest you check the connection between antenna & AP.

If ONLY on the table get 「fair」but other near by could get「Good」or above, my instinct is antenna problem, maybe you should change another brand antenna for confirmation.

Hoping this could help.

Good Luck & Have a nice day with my best regards!

Chih-Chao Chang

• Hi Seth,

The simplest way to know if you connectors, jumper cable and or anetnna is faulty is to get an indoor AP say Linksys etc and strap it to the same 10ft pedestal. If you get far better signal with the lower powered (EIRP) indoor AP then you have problem with your connector/ jumper cable/ Antenna. You can from this point start isolating each to track down the culprit.
    Personally i thing 5/6ft pedestal is more appropriate for a mobile home that is about 10ft high. I am also looking at why just one AP was not placed at the center of the courtyard on a 5/6ft pedestal.

Okechukwu

Page 1 of 1