Forum

• By (Deleted User)

We're using Cisco 1250 series access points and need to mount some of them in access point enclosures. Some of the access point enclosures I am finding are made of metal.

Does anyone have any data showing this is a good or bad idea? It seems to me this is not a good solution. Seems they should be made of plastic and not metal.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

• It's a radio and a computer. You look around, you will find many radios and computers in metal cases.

• By (Deleted User)

I agree. It is a radio and a small computer in a metal case. However, the intentional radiator on a transmitter is usually not placed near metal objects, except for the ground plane. You wouldn't place your access point next to a metal duct, metal pipe, or expect the signal to go through metallic blinds, right?

Just doesn't make sense that these enclosures should be made of metal.

tdennehy, CCNA,CCNP,CCDA,CCDP,CWNA,RCDD/NTS/WD

• Metal enclosures are fine for AP's. I have about 100 of them in place with no problems. Of course, the antennas need to be on the outside of the enclosure. :)

GTHill

• By (Deleted User)

GTHILL,

So let me ask you... if the enclosure was mounted on the wall, would you say the rubber ducks need to be turned in such a fashion so they are not next to the metal part of the enclosure? I think I will find a picture and see if I can post it.

What manufacturer do you use for the enclosures? We're using Panduit.

• The metal enclosures that I use have punch outs for the connectors and/or antennas. They are on the side, so unless you just really tried, the antennas wouldn't be next to the metal case.

Here is the link to the ones I use, but of course there are so many different types and brands it's crazy.

http://www.wlanparts.com/product/DCE-H-7X6X2/NEMA6_Weatherproof_Die_Cast_Aluminum_Enclosure_and_Hinged_Cover__DCEH7X6X2.html

GTHill

• Yes, the antenna should be at right angles to the metal case. the case will act like a ground plane for a dipole. Parallel, not good - standing wave ratio troubles.

• ad5mb Escribi?3:

Yes, the antenna should be at right angles to the metal case. the case will act like a ground plane for a dipole. Parallel, not good - standing wave ratio troubles.

As a general rule, that isn't correct. It all depends on how you connect the antenna and how the case is mounted in relation to the desired coverage area.

To the OP, what type of antenna are you going to use? Is it going to be directly connected to the case? What are you going to use this setup for?

GTHill

Page 1 of 1