Forum

• Could anyone give a list of vendors with good reputations for the following:

1. High Powered wireless access points (300mw+)
    2. Mesh Routers / Access points for small to medium wireless installs.

We are running into some new types of customers and need to utilize some differnt equipment.

Thanks
    Eric

• indoor or outdoor equipment?
    frequency supported?

I'm using skypilot networks.
    refer to www.skypilot.com. The product can support , PTP,PTMP and mesh. One of the vendor equipment called SkyAccess can support up to 400mw for 2.4Ghz.

• ericlaiys Escribi?3:

indoor or outdoor equipment?
    frequency supported?

From what I read, APs with IR of 300mW would not be used indoors. Is this true ?

And when people refer to the power like the original poster did, do they usually refer to the IR or the EIRP ?

Is there any scenario where one would require a 300mW+ IR output indoors ?

• Yea I am looking for both indoor and outdoor solutions. We are doing some very large homes located on 10+ acre lots with multiple buildings on each lot.

Skypilot looks great, keep the list comming!!

• Well this is how i deployed to my site. Use skypilot for backhaul which is using 5.8Ghz and then use SkyAccess to provide 2.4 Ghz to customer. For inside homes, i will use pepwave surf ap (indoor) to bridge the signal from outside and boost 2.4Ghz to the entire house.

• Motorola product also seem good. I will let you know next week after i have attend the Motorola Canopy, PTP, MotoMesh and Powerline training.

Another product you should look into is Strix System. I'm have read the product and it seem very good...may consider Strix as one of my future WLAN product.

• All right some folks on hear have talked about Meraki..anybody have any thoughts on them. They have an interesting concept with the hosted services but is that just a bunch of bells and bull...

Also, has anyone deployed their outdoor AP indoors. The outdoor one is 200mw vs the less powered indoor.

Finally is there a miniumum equipment purchase amount?

• hard to beat the price on Meraki, Minimum purchase is 1! I am preparing to deploy outdoor APs in ceiling tile enclosures for public wifi access. If you want to get a feel for the hosted solution, order 1 meraki and you can play around with it. I am also a Belair fan for Closed loop systems. They have over 60 sq mi deployed with 4 watt radios. Their take on covering inside is to either put a radio outside and point the antennas in or to use CPE to amplify inside (Ruckus, etc.) Benefit on Belair is that they crank out some heavy duty signal, con is the price. you give up some control on the Meraki because it is hosted.

Bottom line is to identify what your needs are (wifi only vs. closed loop data/VOIP/Video) and budget. If you are going to do Wifi, it is hard to beat the price. Check out this article on Meraki (another shameless plug) http://meraki.com/solutions/cs/barclay/ to get a feel for how a deployment might go.

Good luck!

• I vote Motorola. The canopy and mesh technology is great.

• well, i vote for Motorola PTP. Good backhaul which can support high throughput.

Page 1 of 2