Forum

• Howdy all.

Soon I may be doing a site survey at a smaller outdoor stadium in Florida (802.11b/g). For the most part, I suspect I can get away with as little as 2MB connectivity. Most of the traffic will be transaction based. No VoIP or streaming video.

So when I do the survey, the stadium will be empty. The prospective customer wants a system installed and working before the next scheduled game. If you have experience with "people" attenuation, I'd love to hear from you. Assuming the AP antennas will be about 5-10 feet higher than the people, how much stronger should I survey to take people attenuation into account? Many of the clients will be using small hand held devices selling concessions in the stands.

-Tim

• One thing I would suggest is to do some throughput testing. Coverage is only part of the puzzle. Even though you'll have transaction-based data, I would assume you could have dozens of transaction at a time.

• The NFL used to use 2.4 cameras on the field, not sure if they still do, but additionally the site survey had to ensure that there would be NO interference on the field. This had to be verified after install and on game day. Luckily they only wanted coverage for the club level, not the entire stadium.

• wk4u Escribi?3:

Howdy all.

Soon I may be doing a site survey at a smaller outdoor stadium in Florida (802.11b/g). For the most part, I suspect I can get away with as little as 2MB connectivity. Most of the traffic will be transaction based. No VoIP or streaming video.

So when I do the survey, the stadium will be empty. The prospective customer wants a system installed and working before the next scheduled game. If you have experience with "people" attenuation, I'd love to hear from you. Assuming the AP antennas will be about 5-10 feet higher than the people, how much stronger should I survey to take people attenuation into account? Many of the clients will be using small hand held devices selling concessions in the stands.

-Tim

Hi Tim,

I guess it all depends on the amount of coverage you have, type of antennas (omni/patch,cell overlap, etc...

When im faced with these same challenges i always say to myself, will the client 'see' the antenna. If the anwser is yes, you should be OK coverage wise espcially of you arent putting a lot of data on the medium. If not, perhaps you are in the middle of a crowd of folks the user may have to raise the gun
    to get a better recp.

After you have the Antenna set up, go to the furthest point, block the gun with your body and add a fade ...

check back ... I would like to hear how you made out ...

Page 1 of 1