Forum

• Hi guys I have a question about Cisco 7921 phones on a Motorola WLAN. The backrougnd is that we have Motorola RFS7000 controllers with AP300's in place. The WLAN was designed with voice applications in mind & we would like to implement about 20 - 30 of these phones.

My question is, is there any reason that this phone will not work on the current infrastructure (all things being equal)?

The comms guys at my workplace say it will only work with Cisco infrastructure.

• Comm guys are wrong. They will work on the Moto infrastructure.

Do the comm guys have a specific reason why they won't work? If so, post it and we'll go from there.

GT

• Yes, Cisco 7921s will work on a Symbol WLAN. You wont benefit from CCX, but that isn???¡é?¡é?????¡é???¡ét an end all be all.

How are you deploying these, 2.4 or 5?

• Not sure if you are donsidering or own the Cisco phones. Since Symbol/Moto holds key patents in VOIP/WLAN and MOTO is the company that invented Cellular technology, you will want to be aware of the TEAM product for VOIP and Fixed Mobile Convergence (FMC). This is extremly valuable for businesses that seek WLAN and WAN compatible capabilities. This solutions adds interoperability with two way push to talk radios as well.

http://www.motorola.com/Business/US-EN/Business+Product+and+Services/Enterprise+Voice/TEAM_VoWLAN_Business_Smartphones_US-EN

Shoot me a note and I will get you in touch with the Product Manager if you want.

• I'd be very interested to hear why they say the phones won't work. Was the WLAN designed to support voice? Where there considerations made on the infrastructure for QOS? As George said, you won't be able to take advantage of CCX. Most Voice over WiFi deploymentsfail because of design, and QOS.

Charlie

• GStefanick Escribi?3:

Yes, Cisco 7921s will work on a Symbol WLAN. You wont benefit from CCX, but that isn???¡é?¡é?????¡é???¡ét an end all be all.

How are you deploying these, 2.4 or 5?

Thanks for the replies.

We will be deploying these on 5. Excuse my lack of knowledge but what is CCX & how does it provide any additional benifits? Is it some sort of proprietary QoS for Cisco WLAN's?

Thanks.

• CCX (Cisco Compatible eXtension) is Cisco's proprietary method of controlling the how clients interact with Cisco's wireless controllers/APs. Check Cisco's website to read all the specifi specs on it.

• CNowak Escribi?3:

CCX (Cisco Compatible eXtension) is Cisco's proprietary method of controlling the how clients interact with Cisco's wireless controllers/APs. Check Cisco's website to read all the specifi specs on it.

Thanks CNowak

I am checking their site as we speak...

• snafu75 Escribi?3:

CNowak Escribi?3:

CCX (Cisco Compatible eXtension) is Cisco's proprietary method of controlling the how clients interact with Cisco's wireless controllers/APs. Check Cisco's website to read all the specifi specs on it.

Thanks CNowak

I am checking their site as we speak...

CCX is a means of enhancing client radios that are on a cisco wlan. Since you have moto, you wont be able to use these advances.

You will be fine. Perhaps get 1 or 2 handsets and test before you make your purchase.

• 7921 is a very good VOIP phone, it will work with any WLAN even Motorola ;) but you are going to face roaming & voice quality (QOS) issues... this is not really a problem with Motorola, but many vendors inclduing Cisco with CCX can't make it work properlly in high density enterprise deployments.

Page 1 of 1