Forum

• Forum,

I was just wondering if anyone has done any testing with Windows 7 connecting to wireless. A number of users say that it is vastly improved based on Windows XP and a slight improvement over Vista.

Is anyone doing any early testing?

• By (Deleted User)

I finally got to play with the Windows 7 supplicant this week. A student brought it into class. It does support the capability for entering an "outer identity" (bogus user name) and it now adds support for EAP-TTLS and EAP-FAST as you can see in this screenshot:

It looks much improved from the XP and Vista supplicants however, we did have some weirdness when configuring the sucker. I'll be sticking with Odyssey for now, but at least Microsoft finally made an effort to do something to upgrade the horrible and evil supplicant known as the WZC.

• Wlanman09 Escribi?3:

I agree with the Department of Defense policy which is to disable the current Windows wireless client utilities and use Juniper's Odyssey Access client.

I think it's important to remember that this supplicant is also FIPS 140-2 Certified, which is why the Feds use it. I like Odyssey. It has some great features, but I don't know if I would want to have all my clients (the human kind) use it.

You may want to check on your supplicant being FIPS approved. Yes there are Odyssey clients that ARE FIPS 140-2 approved but not ALL them are. Just a heads up.

The FIPS approved is named with FIPS in the install.

~K

• By (Deleted User)

You may want to check on your supplicant being FIPS approved. Yes there are Odyssey clients that ARE FIPS 140-2 approved but not ALL them are. Just a heads up.

The FIPS approved is named with FIPS in the install.

You're right. I should have noted that.
    Thanks for the clarification :D :D

• Don't diss WZC too much. Even with XP, it had some nice management capabilities via AD. At a previous employer, we deployed it to all of our Windows XP SP2 laptops with WPA/TKIP with machine and user EAP-TLS. Worked like a charm. Our GPO enforced the configuration, kept our SSID as the most preferred, and completely disabled Ad-Hoc wireless.

Once we got everyone's wireless drivers updates, we did not have any issues with our wireless network.

You can probably do all that and more with the Odyssey client (I assume it has a centralized management tool), but OAC is woefully out of date for Mac and Linux machines.

Page 1 of 1