Forum

• Anyone else having problems with other people's Cisco access points logging on the wrong controller?

I was talking to a customer of mine (who provides services to cable companies) who has that happen regularly, and I suspect that it's an issue related to Cisco's discovery.

Once they appear on someone else's controller, then you of course have the option of doing whatever you want to them. :)

• By (Deleted User)

Good stuff.

I use:

1. Option 43

2. Priming at least primary and seconday controllers.

3. Recently had to force APs to move to a new controller - even after 1 and 2, they still would not budge - so...  The Master Controller Option to the rescue - works like magic.

4. Previous to this the de facto solution was DNS - but this does not scale past the first controller - well not consistently even if you were to use DNS Round Robin.

• Depending on which code you have it could be using OTAP but I doubt it, If its code 6.o there is no OTAP so no worries. If its earlier turn off OTAP its a security hole.

Now you say, turning up on other controllers I assume not some other companies controllers?

Ensure that you have master mode disabled on all the controllers after you have registered all the aps and set their primary controllers.

Let us know how you get on

• By (Deleted User)

Hmm....

I just switched over 2 APs to LAP tonight.  I used the Cisco Conversion Tool. 

I still have a DNS entry for the "Jax Controller".

I have the Master Controller set to "Orl Controller".

I did not have my option 43 with sub-option 241 set.

So...

1. They homed initially to the Jax WLC.

2. I tried to prime them and they still homes to the Jax WLC.

3. So I took a trip to my DHCP Server and saw the issue.  I then added option 43 to the DHCP Scope in question.

4. Now they took the primed setting - I used the AP-Manager IP for one of them and I used the AP-Manager name for the other AP.  This worked like a charm.

So...

While I'd like to think that Option 43 is chosen over the Master Controller - I don't "know" this to be true.

See... I moved over 13 APs in a site to the Orlando WLC and I had to tick the Master Controller Option to effect the cutover.  Otherwise they preferred Jax.

Page 1 of 1