Forum

• Team
    This question is straight from the online CWNA practice test on cwnp.com. I am a little confused since it is saying that if a workstation transmits an ERP-OFDM frame > 1500 bytes, that they will be dropped by the AP. Does this sound correct? (The correct answer below is D.) I thought fragmentation was a regular occurrence when packets travel in between different networks or routed segments. Any input? (It specifically says "802.3 does not support frame fragmentation" which doesn't sound correct to me. Am I wrong?)
    Thanks
    MIKE

Question 4
    When an ERP-OFDM station transmits a data frame with a 2000 byte payload to a file server located on the Ethernet network to which the access point is attached, what happens to the frame provided the access point does not support jumbo (giant) frames on its Ethernet port?
    A The access point fragments the ERP-OFDM frame's payload and puts each fragment into a separate Ethernet frame for transmission onto the Ethernet segment
    B The access point replies to the ERP-OFDM station with a notification that its frame size is not supported by the Ethernet network segment
    C The access point translates the ERP-OFDM frame to 802.3, places an 802.1Q tag in the header, and forwards the frame to the file server
    D The access point drops the frame

Explanation:
    When the 802.11 data frame carries more data than can be placed into an Ethernet frame, the frame is dropped at the access point (or WLAN switch). 802.3 does not support frame fragmentation, but Ethernet equipment may support jumbo (giant) frames. Jumbo frames are Ethernet frames that are carrying payloads larger than the typical 1500 byte maximum. Both the AP and the Ethernet switch must support jumbo frames in order for the AP to bridge 802.11 frame payloads larger than 1500 bytes.

Page 1 of 1