Forum

• How old is your information? Or how long ago did you use the extricom system?

Indeed there have been issues with both the
    TrueReuse and the beaconing mechanism.

Both have been greatly improved the last year (for the beaconing you can now choose profiles for the amount you need, this ofcourse depends on the density of your deployment and also how well signal propagates through your deployment)

TrueReuse depends on the same factors, design is important to actually get the best out of it. (surely in the environments where i used it it worked)

Just out of curiousity how much do you think you will get out of an cell based solution (lets take 24 access points on b/g)?

anonymouswifidude Escribi?3:

AKLEPPER,
    Can you really state that you have turned on True Reuse and seen a difference in performance on an Extricom network?

I may have had some exposure to this product and found True Reuse to provide no benefit that I could see. In addition it appears to be off by default?

All I have seen that switch do is create a giant single cell, or as you state in the case of the 4 radio AP 4 giant cells. So if you use a 24 Port Switch you have 96 Mbps of throughput in the best possible circumstances divided by 24 AP's which is 4 Mbps per AP, or 1 Mbps per radio. That is unremarkable in my opinion.

In addition when I was exposed to the product they had serious issues with Beacons and how to propogate them amongst the AP's. You would either see extremely inconsistant Beacons or way too many and that obviously confuses stations and eliminated PS mode?

Just my observations.

aklepper Escribi?3:

Yes all clients basically share the 20Mb/s of throughput that you would expect on a single AP. However extricom implements TrueReuse which allows (as long as there is enough spacing between the clietns, not per-se in distance but in dB) to transmit in the downlink at more then 1 place within the bss.

In the uplink clients will already transmit as soon as they pass the normal CSMA/CA.

Comparing this to a cell planing solution, where you will never get to 20 Mb/s per channel (because of co-channel interference), it is much more static and reliable.

Secondly you can put as many AP's in an area to assure that all clients will always be transmitting and receiven on high rates, where in a cell planning solution they will rate adapt untill they roam, slowing down the whole bss.

On top of that the extricom system can have 4 "blankets" (in each AP there are 4 or 2 radios), allowing you assign 1 (or more) ssid per radio, so then you would achieve even more throughput(please note that for this to work perfectly you need quite a dense placement of AP's).

Furthermore there is no roaming, all problems that you would have in cell based solution deploying voip and other roaming sensative applications.

Hope this helps a bit, if you have more questions, shoot! :)

Page 1 of 1