Forum

• Can anyone confirm to me what channels are allowed to be using in 802.11n in the 5Ghz Band? Also when bonding 40Mhz channels how many non-overlapping sets of channels are there.

I ask since I have seen AP's that allow the mid-band (channel 50 - 147) of the 5Ghz and other AP's that don't allow those channels to be set.

Would this be a DFS compliance issue?

~K

• The 11n amendment doesn't specifically exclude any channels that would have been supported in your region.

Without UNII-2, you would have 4 usable bonded channels. With UNII-2, you would have 11 usable bonded channels.

GT

• Can anybody confirm on what hardware they have 802.11n working with 40Mhz channels bonded in the UNII-2 (middle band) range such as channel 60 +/- 1?

I have a vendor saying no AP's are allowed to use these channels in the USA, but I thought if they passed the FCC DFS certification they are allowed to use these channels.

However, I know using these channels is risky since they are required to check for radar interfernce and can change the channel at any moment which is not the best for mission critical data.

~K

• By (Deleted User)

There is a vendor or two out there that just received DFS compliance certification, but your firmware version may not have been updated to include support for these channels. Almost every large vendor is currently supporting these channels. I'm looking at one right now that allows this. Feel free to PM me if you are wondering about a certain vendor. If they're telling you that channels in these bands can't be bonded, they're lying.

Just to clarify, when GT refers to UNII-2, this includes UNII-2e (5.47-5.725 GHz).

• By (Deleted User)

If they're telling you that channels in these bands can't be bonded, they're lying.

A vendor that lies... imagine that

X-D

• Marcus Escribi?3:

Just to clarify, when GT refers to UNII-2, this includes UNII-2e (5.47-5.725 GHz).

Thanks for the correction Marcus!

GT

• By (Deleted User)

That wasn't meant to be a correction. I just wanted to make sure it was clear that for CWNP exams, we use UNII-2 and UNII-2e to refer to these separate bands. Many people refer to them collectively as UNII-2 only, as GT did. :)

Page 1 of 1