Forum

• One of my clients is asking about saving money using range extenders because of an independent project audit. My past understanding has been that they are unreliable and are really only a consumer grade gadgets, however never having deployed one I have no real experience to back that up. Does anyone have any experience or understanding on the topic they would be willing to confer?

Thank you,
    Jim

• Hello,

What vendor product are they rolling out ? Sounds like SoHo?

• Thanks,

It???¡é?¡é?????¡é???¡és interesting that you mention that because another suggestion the auditor made was to look at cheaper ???¡é?¡é?????¡­?¡°SMB / consumer???¡é?¡é???????? grade switches rather than the existing enterprise switches with vlans because cheep switches are easier to replace if one fails by just running to best buy. I think their audit while comprehensive and useful was somewhat amateurish in some areas.

The client currently has Cisco 1200s and wanted to move to .N. We were recommending that they upgrade to the HP/Colubrus .N access points and controller. Before I commented on the wireless extender suggestion I wanted to educate myself. My suspicion is that if a good enterprise wireless extender does exist it probably is not much less expensive than just installing an additional AP. But I???¡é?¡é?????¡é???¡ém just guessing.

Page 1 of 1