Forum

WLAN Vendor?

25 posts by 9 authors in: Forums > CWNA - Enterprise Wi-Fi Admin
Last Post: December 24, 2009:
  • alexd Escribi?3:

To expand on my previous question, it's just indoor coverage that we are looking at providing. The schools are planning on doing a 1:1 laptop initiative, roughly 400 laptops per building (20-30 per classroom, all active at the same time).

The traffic is mainly going to be HTTP (random browsing, streaming video, Flash games, webmail, etc.) and general file and print.

Alexd,

I personally feel that the application of wireless network for manly HTTP traffic is going to be short-lived.
    Once, you have the wireless network in place, there would be a bunch of applications that would be added.
    Online training, Video streaming, many other applications would crop in and planning for basic coverage would be bad;

1. It would be good to look around implementations of Wi-Fi in similar deployments;
    What are the applications they use?
    How do they manage the solution between wide geographic areas?
    How do they troubleshoot issues?
    Planning, Deployment.
    How are the vendor support like?
    Of course, Price factor

2. Finally call in Vendors and prove their solution for your specific applications and devices.

Future proof as much as possible.

Just my thoughts.

- Kiran

• Kiran Escribi?3:

alexd Escribi?3:

To expand on my previous question, it's just indoor coverage that we are looking at providing. The schools are planning on doing a 1:1 laptop initiative, roughly 400 laptops per building (20-30 per classroom, all active at the same time).

The traffic is mainly going to be HTTP (random browsing, streaming video, Flash games, webmail, etc.) and general file and print.

Alexd,

I personally feel that the application of wireless network for manly HTTP traffic is going to be short-lived.
    Once, you have the wireless network in place, there would be a bunch of applications that would be added.
    Online training, Video streaming, many other applications would crop in and planning for basic coverage would be bad;

1. It would be good to look around implementations of Wi-Fi in similar deployments;
    What are the applications they use?
    How do they manage the solution between wide geographic areas?
    How do they troubleshoot issues?
    Planning, Deployment.
    How are the vendor support like?
    Of course, Price factor

2. Finally call in Vendors and prove their solution for your specific applications and devices.

Future proof as much as possible.

Just my thoughts.

- Kiran

Kiran,

I couldn't have said it better.

• Snaglpus00 Escribi?3:

Roma,

You can't group all wireless network into the same design model. Wireless deployments will all be different. There are times where each different design will be a benefit over the other. Not every client will want the same level of wireless, nor do they want to pay for stuff they don't need.

A coffee shop,a stadium, a hotel, a Elementary school, a High School, a college, a apartment building, a high rise office - All have different needs and follow different designs.

Certain WLAN vendors have special technologies which work better for different applications, but that is not to say they can't work in the others...they just may not be as efficient.

This is why before we even quote customers on any wireless, we get a "wireless mission statement" from them. Pretty much it is what they "expect" the wireless to do. Based off that, we design a network. This also will CYA in the case where 12 months down the road the client has a "new" idea and tries to use the wireless in a way it was not designed for and calls to complain about how the wireless.

Example, design an office for 20 wireless users for email and light browsing over 10,000 sqft and works perfect...then they change that 20 to be 100 clients.....can you see what is going to happen?

~K

Thx Snaglpus00 for your reply and I 100% agree, however I would have liked to see bjwhite comments on my replies cause the problem sometimes is that someone throws out some foggy statements and never come back when we ask for a clarification. Note this doesn't apply to CWNP team 8)

• I wrote out a huge response to this, meanwhile the forum software logged me out and when I went to hit 'Preview' it asked me to login, which I did, and then the forum software repopulated the "post a reply" page and my entire write-up was GONE. Ugh...how frustrating. Bug in the forum software?

Roma59 Escribi?3:

1-When you deploy a network for 54Mbps/300Mbps, VOIP @-67dBm the fact that clients are @ 30mw and APs @100mw doesn't have an impact

I wrote a long answer to this--ugh. Running out of time now, but you always should take the Return Trip EIRP into consideration. Let's say you deployed a group of APs in a sparse deployment at 20dBm. That's all fine and dandy, but if the client can't transmit back to the AP at a similar EIRP, then this can cause problems.

Roma59 Escribi?3:

2- changing dynamically channels and power is disruptive for many critical applications ie VOIP not even talking about the time it takes to converge.

Of course changing channels abruptly is disrupting to associated clients (without CSA or 802.11v). But most enterprise systems have the ability to defer channel changes when there are associated clients to the AP. An abrupt channel change would affect all clients, not just VoIP although VoIP would be the most noticeable because you'd drop the call. Again, the channel change would be deferred in most scenarios if there are clients associated to the AP.

A couple exceptions to this is if the channel change is prompted by radar avoidance (802.11h) or if the channel change is prompted by meeting thresholds such as high noise floor for a given amount of time or mac/phy error rates. In either of these threshold circumstances, the client experience is probably so bad anyway, that the channel change is the least of the worry. In this case the channel change wouldn't really impact the client any worse than the noise floor/mac/phy errors, and in most cases the channel change would change the client experience for the better.

Roma59 Escribi?3:

3-
    ???¡é?¡é?????¡­?¡°but you have little to no safety zone with regards to a failed AP or the introduction of a strong interference source???¡é?¡é????????.
    . Are you saying that a solution is more sensitive to strong interference when deployed @ 100mw then @ 30 /50 mw ? can you clarify ?

No, I'm not saying that a solution is more sensitive when deployed at 20dBm vs 14 or 17. I'll write up more soon.

Roma59 Escribi?3:

4-
    "Any vendor can set their APs to max power", "Meru isn't doing anything terribly special by setting APs to max power"

I thought the reason for decreasing the power was to mitigate co-channel interference. Now you're saying that all the solutions can use APs @ max power. Can you clarify ? cause if it's true, if one AP fails and you increase the tx power of neighbor APs to compensate then you increase co-channel interference, I'm I correct ?

Ugh, I had a long write up. Company just came for Christmas, I'll continue this later.

• I feel your pain. I've gotten in the habit of Control A then Control C before sending. :)

GT

Page 3 of 3