Forum

802.1x setup

4 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CWNA - Enterprise Wi-Fi Admin
Last Post: February 11, 2010:
  • By (Deleted User)

Hi all...

I am new with 802.1x and need some assistance with it.

I have a controller with 3 AP's, win 2003 server and i am using IAS as radius server.

we have 6 machine running winx XP

Is there any site or doc which i can refer for setting up 802.1x for various auth methods.

Please also lemme know if my setup lacks in any device or software so that i can arrange and make this set up working.

This is a test setup.

Thanks for the help in advance.

• By (Deleted User)

Jim Geier has a great book with probably everything you might need. It's called Implementing 802.1X Security Solutions for Wired and Wireless Networks

• I agree with Wlanman09

That is one of the best technical books I have read. He has taken a bunch of specification details from "all over the place" and put them together in a very logical fashion. He has some nice little diagrams showing the "nesting" of various layers from EAP Method Data through EAP Method through EAP to EAPOL and finally to the data link layer protocol.[ in our case 802.11 ]. Sadly that little diagram is rarely shown in other books/docs. They seem to assume that you "just know it" already.

Even though you could jump straight to the Radius stuff, I'd strongly recommend starting from the beginning and working your way through the whole book. Each chapter builds on the previous one. Have as yet not found any technical book on 802.1X that beats it in terms of ease of reading and layout. Doubt if anyone will beat it. There are some typos in it, but you will catch them easily.

When I was first studying 802.11 security, I literally had a desk full of papers with cross references all over the place. I thought I was going bonkers trying to figure out what was going on. That little book was a lifesaver.

Dave

• Go visit Jim's website: http://www.wireless-nets.com/index.html

Lots of cool stuff there.

Page 1 of 1