Forum

Exam next week

15 posts by 9 authors in: Forums > CWNA - Enterprise Wi-Fi Admin
Last Post: May 5, 2010:
  • Congratulations Keith and Crypto - good jobs.

• [b]Congratulations Keith and Crypto! [/b]

And to the others, thank you for the studies ideas. I had found that reading the vocabulary helps a grate deal to do it first instead of reading then having to stop and look up a word and digest it's meaning. I think I am going to adapt to the "Japanese/Darby" style of learning and see how it works. The synergy of learning... I'm loving wireless.

[b][i]JCB[/i][/b]

• By (Deleted User)

Congrats to Keith and Crypto!

The Japanese learning style actually came from learning to implement Total Quality Management and back when I was the LPO (Lead Petty Officer) for the 1st Lieutenant's Office over at Mayport we helped win the award for this style of leadership. I had over 500 people that I was responsible for assigning job for per month while being in charge of the Transient Division. I used Deming's 14 Points to help win this award - in short, we lived it. Admiral Kelso was the visionary who embraced the Deming philosophy. I work for a retired Senior Chief who empowered me to use our resources fully to embrace this philosophy.

Our command won the Naval of the Malcolm-Baldridge award for quality - starting from 0. It took less than 24 months to turn the situation around. Today it is history.

Technically having an extra 500+ bodies per month does sort a job of mincing the numbers a bit - but hey I think everyone who ever came though the TPU (Transient Personnel Unit) that I worked with learned a lot about the process and got a unique opportunity to excel at something.

Admiral Kelso got the kudos for his command doing the un-doable. Deming gets the credit for the process. I'm just a hamster who got trained and indoctrinated on the kool-aid and got 2 years to help work on something kind of unique and special.

W Edwards Deming - Total Quality Management & Deming's 14 points

1900 - 1994

W Edwards Deming was an American statistician, considered the father of the modern quality movement. Edwards Deming strongly influenced Japanese industry post WWII with Statistical Process Control (SPC) and Total Quality Management (TQM), similar to Joseph Juran.

In 1982 Edwards Deming published ?Out of the Crisis? identifying 14 points for management which if applied would enable Japanese manufacturing efficiencies to be realized.

The W Edwards Deming Institute awards prizes for individuals and organizations that embrace Total Quality Management and drive quality management forward.

Deming's 14 Points Summarized

1. Create constancy of purpose and continual improvement ? long term planning must replace short term reaction.

2. Adopt the new (Japanese) philosophy ? by management and workers alike.

3. Do not depend on (quality) inspection ? build quality into the product and process.

4. Choose quality suppliers over low cost suppliers ? to minimize variation in raw materials and supply.

5. Improve constantly ? to reduce variation in all aspects e.g. planning, production, and service.

6. Training on the job ? for workers and management, to reduce variation in how job is done.

7. Leadership not supervision ? to get people to do a better job, not just meet targets.

8. Eliminate fear ? encourage two-way communication, encourage employees to work in the organization?s interest.

9. Break down internal barriers ? department?s in an organization are ?internal customers? to each other and must work together.

10. Eliminate slogans (exhortations) ? processes make mistakes not people. Management harassment of workers will create bad relations if no effort made to improve processes.

11. Eliminate numerical targets ? management by objectives (targets) encourages low quality.

12. Remover barriers to worker satisfaction ? including annual appraisals.

13. Encourage self improvement and education for all

14. Everyone is responsible for continual improvement in quality and productivity ? particularly top management

• Congrats Crypto and Keith

Crypto I have the CCNA Wireless and AWLANFE but I am thinking there is a little more to the CWNA than the Cisco exams but I am going through the book.

Yeah I have learnt stuff that I probably should know and some I did know and have forgot!! Andthere is stuff I havent gone that deep on before as I didnt need to.

What are your thoughts after the CWNA?

• Congrats Crypto & Keith. I notice you said that CCNA Wireless was easier than CWNA, makes me think maybe I should take that sometime as well just so if anyone complains that I need Cisco certs I can say yeah I got that too. lol.

Page 2 of 2