Forum

• By (Deleted User)

Let's see.

I had previously purchased 4 Cisco/Airespace LWAPP Controllers - at first to play innocently with Wireless Mobility to some degree. Then as a CLI substitute to prep for the CCIE Wireless and now to work with the CWNA and demonstrate some labs I now have for these 4000/4100 models.

Learning point - I need some of the AS-1200-ABG-INT, AS-1250-ABG-INT, or AS-1200-ABG-EXT-RE. Other models may work but I've not confirmed that 100% yet.

I bought 4 of the AS1250-ABG-INT (aka Cisco AP 1010) and another set of 4 of the 1200-ABG-EXT-RE (REAP) access points. I'm waiting on these to be delivered.

I already own (4) Cisco AP-1131-AG access points and one 1242 AP. It looks these are supported on this 3.2.xxx version of code. Find out soon enough.

I can upgrade my 1220B's but it costs as much to upgrade the radios as it does to buy the AS-1250-ABG-INT and still does not have all the radio options. I've got a couple of 1230/1231's too.

Plus 2-3 of the Linksys Routers for Rogues. And maybe a few unsuspecting neighbors who are too close to my spider web.

Upgrade: Well the really kewl thing is I needed to upgrade the the controller and it upgrades the APs. So I learned that I could upgrade to 3.2.xxx and it was as recent as September of 2009. Really Kewl! So it is not quite so old.

For some of the labs I needed some additional items:

- IPS: I'm going to use my Cisco 4250 IPS for this.

- RADIUS: I'm using my Cisco ACS Appliance (reloaded and upgraded for this) - I bought 4GB of Ram for the unit and a pair of 160GB IDE drives - I like redundancy.

- Switches: I already have Gigabit Switches with GBICs that are POE - Cisco CAT 3550-24-POE (QTY: 3).

- PIX Firewalls: I've already have a pair of PIX 525's with DMZ Interfaces.

- WCS Server: I already purchased the software and license for up to 50 APs.

Note: I was trying to purchase about 42 or 75 APs but I lost both bids so I had to re-engineer things a bit.

I use AirMagnet Wireless Analyzer and Survey Tools.

I have some freebies.

I'm looking at Wi-Spy Spectrum Analyzer with Chanalyzer.

I need to update by laptops - I have few in the house - 4-5 + 2 from the wife's laptops.

I have a small variety of antennas too.

My home network will provide the network and applications. I have my own Cisco VoIP Network too.

I don't have any 7920/7921, but I do have Cisco IP Communicator and it can tag packets for QoS testing over the WLAN. Not quite the same but doable.

I use a variety of network sniffers.

I think that is it. So I'm on a hold status for the lab at the moment other than some testing and associating some APs this weekend.

• By (Deleted User)

Ok today is for some practicals. I may have trouble with my WCS so it comes later.

I'm going to be doing some testing and homing my 1131's to WLCs and start playing around a little to see what happens and make sure everything is going to work together.

I just realized my WCS software may not be the correct version I need for the older WLCs.

Ouch!

• WCS is pretty straight forward Darby howevr you can only use a code that is a max of two code versions higher than the WLCs ond not a code lower than the WLCs, so if you have code 3.2 on the LWC you cant run code 6.0 on the WLC.

Or at least you shouldnt be able to, importing maps is fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• By (Deleted User)

Oh I might be ok then.

I'm going to run 3.2.xxx on the WLC and I have 4.2.xxx on the WCS.

I'll be fine the training manual I was reading over lunch suggested I needed the exact version.

• No you should be ok with that, not sure which code is the latest and gretaest for the 4100s either, I dont think they venture into code 4 at all from memory.

I have seen 4100 on code 4 WCS though so dont see any issues

• By (Deleted User)

The 4000/4100's stop at 3.2.xxx (maybe they can take the upgrade to 4.x but I've not seen it).

I could raid Cisco FTP Dev sites and see what I can find laying around.

What I have will work for my own purposes.

Thanks for the heads up.

Page 1 of 1