Forum

• I agree. In computer networks if you want to be an ace, its true you understand things at the packet level.

> I am starting my CCIE preparation later this month. I have gone through INE and IPExpert workbooks once and this time I'll be testing my own lab setups for various technologies, write a blog and share my experience.

after CCIE, it would be CWNE :) meanwhile understand LTE before it arrives

that's my plan for next two years

• I would say for me, CWNA started off as being something to validate the knowledge I had already gained from my job as a wireless consultant. As my company is a security company, it was also important for me to gain a wireless security certification. This wasn't because of any requirement to do my job, but mainly it was a personal goal to show the people I work with and customers that I had independent verification of my knowledge in this area. Once I started the process of learning what I needed to know to pass the exam, I could see immediately that it was useful on a day to day basis in my job. Being able to know with certainty that what I was stating was in fact standard knowledge amongst other wireless engineers helps immensely. I could also soon see that even having the CWNA was more than a lot of other consultants knew and I realized that pursuing the CWNE would put me head an shoulders above the knowledge of other engineers. So now I'm on a quest to complete the CWNE so that when people ask me about wireless I can answer safe in the knowledge that I have studied what is required to be known as a wireless expert. All this has definitely helped with how others in my company see me and the sales guys love that they can refer to me as the wireless 'guru' even if I don't regard myself as being at that level yet.

• It?s the wave of the future with more and more people and business running out to the local computer store, this skill will be in high demand. It already is but most don?t know it yet. This is not just putting up your AP you just stuck by the wall next to your DSL connection, RF/ WIFI is going to be everywhere and in everything. You either jump in or call one of us that did?

Dave T

• By (Deleted User)

It's true - my company is investing quite a bit in Wireless technologies and we need it.

I see it all over the place and very much a "required skill" versus a "desired skill".

I've been doing Wireless a while and got lucky that RF was not really a deal breaker previously.

Today it is a requirement.

• I got into it to validate my skills and also follow a formal path to ensure that as many knowledge gaps were filled as possible.

I will never know everything and some of the people here, or most of them I am really impressed with their knowledge.

Yeah I can configure RADIUS and Cisco kit and even a PKI blindfolded but hat sreally happening at the packet level. Looking forward to the higher level stuff like CWSP and CWAP.

Equally I think many enterprises are still getting away with screwing aps to ceilings, however thats going to change as the WLANs get loaded and strat to fall over. It like any network is OK unttil it is stressed then you see how it really is performing. Then we get a call and tell them how bad it is, I am finding this more and more where people have bought cheap SOHO class kit for the enterprise.

Page 2 of 2