Forum

• Although not well prepared for the CWNA exam, I elected to sit for it as the ?free second shot? offer provided an opportunity to have an ?extra? practice exam. As expected, I failed--my primary areas of weakness being the ?Protocols and Devices? and ?Network Security?. I have been able to narrow this down to what I describe as trying to make sense of ?the alphabet soup? created by the hundreds of acronyms/abbreviations used throughout wireless networking.

Having previously worked in airline catering logistics, the best method I found to internalize the meanings of the many abbreviations and codes was to associate them with the ?real world? situations. Unfortunately, as I am currently unemployed and in the process of a career change into IT, I do not have access to anything beyond my SOHO wireless router to get hands-on experience.

Does anyone have any study suggestions to help me internalize this stuff?and more importantly make sure it ?sticks? so that when it comes time to use it in the workplace, it?s a fairly seamless transition? Does anything like Cisco?s Packet Tracer utility exist to simulate wireless network environments (preferably freeware)?

For my ?real? attempt at the test, I am using the full array of CWNA training materials and practice tests (except for the video series) and GTHill?s study guide but would wlecome any additional advice!

• Hello.
    Im studying the CWNA( Certified Wireless Administration) in
    UK-London.Wireless appears to be the future but the problem im having is that although wireless technology has exploded all over the world ,
    Wireless jobs have not seen any real growth or boom in the Uk.

Im not sure why this is and im asking for advise from you as to why this is? Do you think this will remain the case in the near future, bearing in mind the recession.

Also ,Is the CWNA exam good enough to get a good job in wireless, or do you think i would need at least the next level up, a
    CWSP (Certified Wireless security professional)
    . PLEASE ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS THAT I HAVE ASKED ABOVE +PLEASE GIVE ME ANY USEFUL ADVISE ABOUT ANY CAREER TRENDS YOU HAVE NOTICED

VIV

• By (Deleted User)

What is really needed in the industry is troubleshooting and analyzing and design skills theoretical and mostly practical. You must know your tools. Understanding the way things should be and compare them with real life when they are not, it was is asked for.

So go for the new exams topics next year. Security is good to know but most of the times it works when set up according to manuals. And it is a one time process once decided what to use. Also high security skills is something that heavily involves a network manager, which should already know most of this anyway from a wired side perspective.

Monitoring performance is much more important in my view!
    Martin

• I appreciate the replies, but maybe I was not clear in what I was asking. Although the perspectives on career potential for the certification is interesting, my main interest is in finding learning tools, techniques and perhaps some simulation programs that will help me learn and internalize the different protocols and wireless security mechanisms in the absence of real world exposure to these systems.

• For my CWNA preparation, Im using the official study guide, the free 802.11n Video training, all sorts of wireless whitepaper, GT hill study guide, online practice test. But these are good, but without getting your hands dirty by playing around with the real thing, one could'nt get far. My view is that even experience with SOHO devices is better off than no practical experience.

• Besides what it was said above, I really recommend taking the sample tests from CWNA guide and this website. They really give you a taste on what to expect and how to manage your time. They were really the key to fill in most of the holes in my learning.

• Ebay will be your friend.

I've been teaching/consulting in the network computing industry for nearly twenty years.

There is NO substitution for real-world, hands-on, practiced experience. Nothing even comes close.

You are asking something like. "I'd like to learn to be a surgeon, but I don't want to have anything to do with the human body". It's a silly question.

Get yourself some equipment, and practice, practice, practice.

Of course it would be better to work on enterprise equipment, but SoHo stuff is better than nothing.

Page 1 of 1