Forum

• Hello,

I am the network administrator for abovementioned site. I recently updated the hints and tips page about our wireless network (on average days : 3000 students and colleagues online, no vowifi only data, with all the wifi devices you can imagine). It now reads :

XXXXX advises you to use a dual-band wifi device if possible. Both 802.11G and 802.11A bands are supported. Try to connect using 802.11A because this band has a 'cleaner' spectrum than 802.11G. Many places within XXXXX are already equipped with 802.11N accesspoints and more will follow, so for optimal performance use a dual band, N capable wifi device.

Do not use ad-hoc, software AP, mifi or tethering as this will interfere with the operational XXXXX wifi production networks, causing less then optimal performance for you and your co-workers.
    Do not use cordless bluetooth headsets, keyboards or mice, this also interferes with the operational XXXXX wifi production networks, causing less then optimal performance for you and your co-workers.

I would appreciate your opinions, feedback etc.

Best regards, rovinguser (recently started studying for CWNA)

• Rovinguser,

Firstly change your A, B, and N to a, b, and n in your announcement. Capital letters are significant, and are incorrect here. You want your department to appear as knowledgable as possible.

Second, I understand your reluctance to have Bluetooth devces on your campus, but I think you'll find that is almost impossible to control. I'm in a Wi-Fi test environment so I understand completely !!! I would suggest you find the least disruptive devices you can, advertise them as less than perfect ,but acceptable, alternatives and learn to live with it.

Many BT devices today will automatically switch-out offending frequencies for nearby WLANS, so that will help. Typically BT mice are so low powered they will not bother your network. BT headsets can be another matter - maybe every semester you should start a rumor that headsets cause cancer - just kidding.

Having been a student once, I know that some students will use your notice as a challenge to intentionally perform DOS' s on your network.

A good policy, if you can implement it, would be to institue an Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) that is tied to a proxy Login mechanism, and be able to deny service to users who violate policy. Not a perfect solution, but one that will influence some users to behave. A violation or two gets the offender off the school network, for say, the remainder of the year.

• By (Deleted User)

Here's how the University of Kansas does it.

http://wireless.ku.edu/

http://www.resnet.ku.edu/wireless/troubleshooting.shtml

Page 1 of 1