Forum

• Hi All

This may seem a pretty dumb question but how would you survey with AirMagnet etc for 200% coverage to me 200% coverage is doubling or increasing your AP count to cover any loss of an other AP my company has basically said we need to survey for 200% for a particular client ?

Any Help from the Experts at CWNP would be most appreciated.

Best Regards

JDZZC1

• You really need to know what the requirements of that particular client are:
    voice, data, 802.11an, can 802.11b be disabled, particular applications being used etc.etc.etc.
    We gained some nice extra capacity when we enabled the 5Ghz radio's on our AP's three years ago...

Hope this helps,

Best regards, RU.

• I would assume that means no location has fewer than 2 AP's that a device can be connected to. Or in other words, no roaming problems.

I would ask them for [u]their[/u] definition of 200% coverage.

They might also mean twice the throughput they had previously, but I would consider that a misuse of the word "coverage". Or in worst case, it could mean that only 50% of the floor space had coverage before, and now they want everywhere covered.

• Thanks for your replies so far guy's

I guess what this client wants is that if an AP fails then the nearest AP will cover the loss they require a minimum of -70Db and a SNR of -25DB which I dont think is acceptible as they intend running Wi-Fi Phones I would have said personally that -65db was the minimum for voice I am still trying to get my own head around what they want, all I know is that it is a Cisco 1040 AP based site with around 95-100 Ap's and running as CAPWAP LAP's and connecting back to a 5508 controller I would have thought that the CISCO RRM would handle any coverage hole deficits

• RRM can cause headaches. Make sure the site survey is done CORRECTLY.

• If they want that coverage they shouldnt be using the 1040 as its only a 2x2 ap so they loose a little resilience.

Yep RRM can be painful but it can be a godsend.

I would survey at a low power level and use self healing.

Also if everywhere needs coverage by 2 aps then 2.4GHz and interference will be a big issue.

Lastly -65dB gives us maximum calls per cell, you can still make calls if the WLAN coverage is compromised but you wont get the call density. If its only a few calls per cell I would look at self healing.

Page 1 of 1