Forum

• Hi all,

I know im a little late to this party but I honestly think we are starting to see the mentality change already.
    I work for a small networking company in the UK.
    Traditionally we are routing and switching but we saw a gap in the wireless market and have gone from having 1 survey kit booked out constantly to 8 currently and more work than we can shake a stick at.

This is the first time that I have come across this site but I am familiar with the likes of HP, Aruba and Cisco (cisco mainly).
    Personally I was reluctant to start in the Wireless field because I thought the same as you guys, it was a novelty that wouldnt catch on but now I think would be a good time to hedge your bets on Wireless, especially with Voice over Wireless..

As for what you can do in the UK to increase popularity I think you would have to create successful candidates to take on the likes of your Cisco CCNA W's as, as much as I hate to say it, they are still viewed as the best of the best here.

Anyway, im looking forward to embarking on my CWNA adventure.

All the best,

Sharpy

• Little late to this party but I find it incredible we still have this conversation. Even that 802.11ac will make wireless take off.

Its already here in a very big way and there simply are not enough good wireless people out there to meet the demand.

If I was laid off I would expect to pick something up quickly. Regarding Liverpool FC WLAN deployment, they went with Xirrus which has proved to be an issue. 

If we look at where wireless has been and is going its a definite case of it is here.

Pre 1999 Warehousing 802.11

1999 802.11b still very much niche in warehousing.

802.11a and g brought usabke bandwidth where we see it getting deployed more widely into office space. Starting to be comoditised and reliable with standards bas.

2004 802.11i improves security.

2007 802.11n real bandwidth for real world deployments.

Today with 3x3:3 802.11n we are seeing wireless only offices.

The next big things just getting traction are BYOD, HD wireless. 

802.11ac won't change the landscape as much as we perhaps think. Its the smarter utilisation of mobility and the data that can be gleened from it that will really change the landscape. However to do that we need to have well deployed WLANs or all the clever stuff hanging on the backend is useless.

Just my 2 cents,

Page 2 of 2