Forum

• Hello Im studying the CWNA( Certified Wireless Administration) inUK-London.
    Wireless appears to be the future but the problem im having is that although wireless technology has exploded all over the world ,I dont think wireless jobs have not seen any real growth or boom in the Uk.

Im not sure why this is and im asking for advise from you as to why this is?
    Do you think this will remain the case in the near future, bearing in mind the recession.

What do any of you think the future might be for wireless in the uk?
    Do you think the uk will go Wireless in the way the Usa and china and other countries have, or do you think the uk will lag behind because of a lack of investment

Also ,Is the CWNA exam good enough to get a good job in wireless, or do you think i would need at least the next level up, aCWSP (Certified Wireless security professional) . PLEASE ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS THAT I HAVE ASKED ABOVE +PLEASE GIVE ME ANY USEFUL ADVISE ABOUT ANY CAREER TRENDS YOU HAVE NOTICED, GIVEN CURRENT DEMAND THAT YOU KNOW OF
    THANKS
    VIV DEE

• Vivdee

In my personal experience I see many people doing wireless jobs, but very few of them doing it well. Wireless is a technology field where there are lots of "have a go" engineers. At the moment the wireless space is not being truly exploited in the UK and bad design goes largely un-noticed

Personally I have got myself a wireless job without any accreditations at all (although I passed CWNA 2 weeks ago). As long as you are competent with the technology you work with, the letters after your name mean nothing. Some of the best engineers I know do not have all the accreditations they should. Like wise I have come across engineers that have all the accreditations, but are useless engineers because they have had no real world experience of WiFi. Personally I think in the UK there will be a big market for truly competent WiFi engineers in the near future. As we follow our friends across the pond and the wireless space becomes more and more congested, it will become more and more important for WiFi engineers to truly understand and master their craft.

Get lots of real world experience under your belt, that's what employers want to see.

Hope this helps

Skid

• I would add to what Skid mentioned to say that many people find it hard to locate wireless LAN administration, engineering, etc. jobs because they are looking for wireless in the job title. In many (if not most) organizations today, the jobs are still titled things like Network Administrator, Network Manager and Network Analyst. When you look in the job description, you will see things like, "must understand wireless networking," or "must understand 802.11 protocols," etc. I always suggest that job applicants spell out their CWNP certification on their resume (for example, Certified Wireless Security Professional instead of CWSP for a job requiring wireless security knowledge) just in case the hiring manager has not heard of the certification. Managers being unaware of what a certification represents is true for certifications ranging from Microsoft to CompTIA. We often have to "sell" our training to the decision makers :-)

• THANKS FOR  YOUR COMMENTS SKID AND  TOM

WHAT I WANT TO NOW KNOW IS HOW DO I GET THE  HANDS OWN EXPERIENCE WHEN I FIRST DONT HAVE THE CWNA FOR EMPLOYERS TO TAKE ME SERIOUSLY

• Here in the US, putting "wireless" as a search term, on a job website, will retrieve hundreds or thousands of listing - for cell phone sales.  

Besides looking for CWNP or Cisco certifcations by name, I would include specifics like "802.11n", "PHY", "Bluetooth", "Omnipeek", "Wireshark", "Access Points", "Aruba", ... etc.

Page 1 of 1