Forum

• Hi

Could somebody kindly suggest best method(s) to prepare for CWSP exam. I guess the CWSP exam is getting tougher as time goes by.

I even tried reading the offcial CWSP (first edition) as well the practice exmas, but it seems that it still becomes difficult. It is not just the technology they are asking about, but the knowledge of several secure and in-secure scenarios.

Thank you.

(Note: I am taking CWSP exam on March 15th)

With kind regards
    SMITH JOSEPH ARULANANDAM
    Toronto, Canada

• By (Deleted User)

For this exam, I highly recommend attending the instructor-led course. There are so many labs in that class that typically very few people (unless you're Devin Akin, Criss Hyde, David Coleman, or a handful of other wireless freaks) have that much equipment to recreate them.

Joel

• Hi Gents,

Thanks for your recommendation. But hear in the Middle East the story is a little bit different. There are no "instructor-led courses" or bootcamps, apparently the technology is still evolving in the region.
    So, beside self study (CWSP book and practice exams), Would be there other way around?

Note: I have already been through http://cwnp.com/training/search_step2.php.

• By (Deleted User)

I had to do this when I took the beta exam for the CWAP. Unlike your situation, I did have the luxury of taking the class but once I was done with the class, other than the course material and the beta practice exams, there wasn't much else to study from. There were only a few people in the world who had even taken the beta-exam at that point so real-life experiences on the test were nearly non-existent. So I studied as hard as I could then took the exam knowing that I'd probably fail, accepting that it would just be part of the cost of getting the certification. When I did fail, I regrouped, worked with my own equipment I had acquired, studied what I had missed and then took it again about a week and a half later. I thought it was possible that I might have to retake it a third time but I accepted that challenge and persevered. I didn't have to take it again but I was prepared to do so, if necessary.

I know that method sucks but sometimes you have to make do with what you're dealt. You do have the resources of everybody on this forum though, and, while we can't go into detail what the exam questions cover, we can certainly help you with questions you have concerning the material in the study guide and from other books you might be studying. It's also possible that the Planet3 folks will sell you just the courseware -- I have no idea about that though, you'd need to send an email to customercare@cwnp.com to get the answer to that.

Joel

• By (Deleted User)

joelb, good feedback for this question. As difficult as it may be for those who can't attend the course, the books and the additional study references,material 30 day software recommended do give you a fighting chance at passing and or mastering the concepts.

One day I will apply to become a CWNT, that when I score the 80% or better that is required. I have the
    training experience from my time in the military.

Even though, I did score 80% on the CWSP it was on the 3rd attempt after deep intensive studying.

I want to be sure that my experience with this technology are more of a reality than a paper drill.

• Thanks to you all for the reply about suggested methods to prepare for CWSP exam.

In Toronto, I didn't find any other technical institution or community college who gives course and labs for CWSP specifically!

And the fact that I failed the first attempt, made me look like a fool. But soon I realized that it is more than that of studying just the CWSP study guide, and with a heavy heart, I started to study again. But after reading your replies that some of them had gone for even third attempt to success, it made me to feel easy in my heart the fact that I am not the only one. Thanks for your honesty.

Coming back to the suggested methods for CWSP, apart from a server machine (Windows 2003 Server, for example), connected to a SMC wireless router, Cisco’s ACS v3 installed and a client machine with Cisco’s PC4800 DS wireless PCI LAN adapter and with Aironet client utility installed, and a laptop with D-Link wireless card, could anyone please suggest what more is needed, except that I already have CWSP official study guide?

Should I refer to some other books which deal with more scenarios and practical examples? What is that 30 software?

I highly appreciate your reply please!

With kind regards
    SMITH JOSEPH ARULANANDAM

• Smith Joseph... how's it going for the CWSP since your last post?

• Hey Smith hope you passed the CWSP exam with flying colors. Actually, I'm kinda new around here and have just passed the CWNA successfully and just happened to stumble on your post. I was wondering if you could kindly let me know about your experiences with the CWSP paper and apart from the study guide and a basic SOHO wireless setup can you recommend an effective exam preparation strategy. I'm planning on sitting the exam sometime August 2005.

I will really appreciate your input in this regard.

Regards Raheel.

• Studying for Security+ helps with this exam. A big part of passing this exam is not just understanding wireless security, but network security in general. Security+ books should be readily available. Go luck.

Page 1 of 1