Forum

• Hi

I have been doing additional reading on the following materials (apart from CWSP study guide) and it helps focus my mind towards WLAN security systems, which I guess is what required before you sit for the CWSP exam:

1. Real 802.11 Security
    (well, probably you might all know that it does a lot of “talking” on the subject matter, but no other book could have covered the intelligence behind AES techniques than this one)

2. Cisco Wireless LAN Security
    (this book does a lot of talking in Cisco – SWAN infrastructures, but has some good guidelines and configurations for various WLAN setups)

3. Deploying Secure 802.11 Wireless Networks with Microsoft Windows (recently
    they have updated this issue to reflect 802.11(i) standards)

I have not read the last one yet, but it seems to have lot of configuration exercises for EAP-TLS, RADIUS, etc, for MS-Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server. Also, it seems to be a better replacement to attending a registered CWSP class.

Can anyone suggest any better idea? I am taking the CWSP exam end of this month.

Thanks.

SMITH JOSEPH ARULANANDAM
    Toronto

• So, how do you do hands on exercises. Do you have access to the equipment necessary to do the labs?

• Hi Kamran

I agree that you need to have the hands-on. But, I want to know, what specific is the difference of preparing with available resources and preparing by going for a CWSP class?

Is it not enough if you have the required software such as server software which has capacity to act as RADIUS server, PKI installed in it, enabling different EAP authentications in Win XP clients, with Cisco ACU to support, and Aironet NIC card, and a laptop as client with another wireless NIC in it?

Moreover, the MS book gives detail explanations of how to deploy these scenarios with full configurations and examples. Hopefully, this will give a mind-set of how to intergrate the WLAN with existing security infrastructure of the wired lan.

Will it not be enough?

SMITH JOSEPH ARULANANDAM

• I can't say if that would be enought as I have not attended the course nor have I looked at the study guide to know what details are covered in the exam. But looking at the exam and reading posts of various folks on this forum leads me to believe that cwsp is quite heavy on labs and you really need a bunch of hardware to emulate the lab environment.

All I can say is give it a try and share your experience with the rest of us. Perhaps check out ebay and search on google for purchasing CBTs to help in preparing for the exam.

Good Luck

• Having attended the latest CWSP beta class in Atlanta, I can attest that the new CWSP course is ALL about labs.

With the exception of a half day lecture on new security threats to wireless networks, the rest of the time was spent doing labs. There were so many labs that we never did get a chance to perform all of them.

This was partly due to working some of the kinks out of the new material, but when the final version is released, all the labs should be performed by the students.

Can you pass the CWSP test by just reading the books....maybe. I guess it really depends on how you learn. Some of can read a book and instantly grasp everything. Others retain information by actually putting their hands on it and doing it.

Do I think you will have a better understanding of CWSP concepts if you attend the class?....ABSOLUTELY.

Do I think you will have a better chance at passing the test if you attend the class?....ABSOLUTELY.

Do I think you will be a better wireless professional by attending the class?...ABSOLUTELY.

Do I think that you can pass the test without taking the class?...go read the posts about how tough this test can be....and then you decide.

Either way you decide to go...Good Luck on your test.

MadMaxx

Page 1 of 1