Forum

• Does anyone know why they are calling WPA-PSK ("WPA-Personal") and WPA with EAP (e.g., with RADIUS authentication server) ("WPA-Enterprise").

Is this just so that the every day person can understand it?? aaaa, it's enough lurning it. Then Co add this stuff to it.

Thanks,
    Phil

• By (Deleted User)

Because WPA-PSK is not recommended in enterprise environments for the same reason that WEP isn't.

Joel

• Cool thanks!! I had not gotten to read that yet. Now that make sence!!!!

Thanks,

Phil

• Hi PhilM:

It might help to keep in mind that "WPA", "WPA-Personal", and "WPA-Enterprise" are trademarks of the Wi-Fi Alliance intended for product branding and assurance of interoperability.

The corresponding IEEE 802.11 terms might be "pre-802.11i TKIP", "pre-802.11i TKIP with Pre-Shared Key", and "pre-802.11i TKIP with 802.1X/EAP/RADIUS server".

The corresponding IEEE 802.11 terms for the WPA2 version of all of the above might be "802.11i CCMP", "802.11i CCMP with Pre-Shared Key", and "802.11i CCMP with 802.1X/EAP/RADIUS server".

http://wi-fialliance.com/OpenSection/secure.asp?TID=2#WPA

I hope this helps. Thanks. /criss

• By (Deleted User)

Good thing that's not confusing.

;)

Joel

• Thanks guys!! You guys do make a difference!! Thanks. And a great link Criss!! Never been there...

Phil

Page 1 of 1