Forum

• What are two methods an 802.11i compliant client device can use to preauthenticate with an AP to which it wishes to reassociate?

• By (Deleted User)

1) Pairwise Master Key (PMK) Caching allows the client to associate with an AP and, upon doing a full RADIUS authentication, store a master key negotiated with that particular AP in a cache. Should the user roam away from that AP and back again, the client will not have to reauthenticate. Funk referred to this 802.11i-specified method as "fast roam-back."

----------

The optional use of Pairwise Master Key (PMK) caching and opportunistic PMK caching. In PMK caching, wireless clients and wireless access points cache the results of 802.1X authentications. Therefore, access is much faster when a wireless client roams back to a wireless access point to which the client already authenticated.

2) Preauthentication or "fast-associate in advance." Using this 802.11i-specified capability, an 802.11 AP associated to a client could bridge to other APs over the wired network and preauthenticate the client to the "next" AP to which the client might roam.
    ------

The optional use of preauthentication. In preauthentication, a WPA2 wireless client can perform an 802.1X authentication with other wireless access points in its range when it is still connected to its current wireless access point.

• Though you eluded to the right answers indirectly, you are absolutely correct. Over the wire, and wirelessly are the correct answers.

• By (Deleted User)

Ho, Ho, Ho !

Wired and Wireless, now that is a simple answer.

Remember CHRIST is the reason we on earth M.A.S. (Make Angels Sing)!

Merry Christmas!

• It would be interesting if you could let us know where we may find additional documentation about this particular point...
    I haven't been able to find the relevant white paper on Funk software website.

Thanks in advance for your help

Chris

• 802.11i

Sections 8.4.1.2.1, 8.4.6 (including 8.4.6.1 and 8.4.6.2), and 8.5.3.1

Devinator

Page 1 of 1