Forum

• Just some quick ones:

Chapter 8 page 218 Second paragraph third bullet

In the context of the section's discussion of 802.1q and vlans do you mean VTP as Vlan Trunking Protocol and not virtual terminal protocol?

Chapter 10 page 252 second bullet on top of page.
    "SNMP v3 has been plagued by a number of important weaknesses over the years"

Then you have SNMPv3 again. Did you mean SNMPv2 for the above sentence?

Typo:

Chapter 10 page 253 second bullet on top of page. "Something you are - Biometeric data that uniquely identifies and individual."

Do you mean "AN" individual?

That is it for now, regards..

• Hi Jeff:

1. VTP in this context would be Cisco's proprietary Vlan Trunking Protocol.

2. Read the SNMP bullet again, with the dash. It reads ok to me.

3. I vote for "an".

I hope this helps. Thanks. /criss

• While studying for the CWSP, I noted the following items that may need revision. These are in addition to those mentioned in the earlier posts. Please do not take these as authoritative, just my suggestions. (I checked, but did not find an errata listing on McGraw-Hill?¡é?€??s website, as of yet.)

p. 206 Question #2: ?¡é?€??one?¡é?€?? instead of ?¡é?€??on?¡é?€??
    p. 226: Remove ?¡é?€??(3)?¡é?€?? from last two Key Terms
    p. 358: Subtract 10 from all Review Answer numbers
    p. 391 Second paragraph, second sentence: Needs revision, TA is not a component of the temporal key but is used in the key mixing process (if I?¡é?€??m not mistaken)
    p. 391 Last paragraph, fourth sentence: ?¡é?€??temporal key?¡é?€?? instead of ?¡é?€??TA?¡é?€??
    p. 392 Figure 14.5: ?¡é?€??TK?¡é?€?? instead of ?¡é?€??TA?¡é?€??, as an input to Phase II Key Mixing
    p. 394 Table 14.1, last Benefit: ?¡é?€??Two or more?¡é?€?? instead of ?¡é?€??More than two?¡é?€??
    p. 402 Figure 14.7: I believe the ?¡é?€??MIC Enabled WEP Frame?¡é?€?? diagram needs revision
    p. 425 Second paragraph: ?¡é?€??PN0?¡é?€?? instead of ?¡é?€??PN1?¡é?€??
    p. 429 Highlighted Comment: ?¡é?€??384?¡é?€?? instead of ?¡é?€??284?¡é?€??
    p. 433 First and second paragraphs: The text has the SNonce created in both Message 1 and Message 2. Need to clarify.
    p. 456 Figure 16.8: Should L2TP be considered a layer 2 or layer 3 protocol? On p. 212 it is shown at layer 2.
    p. 457 First VPN approach: ?¡é?€??Network?¡é?€?? instead of ?¡é?€??Transport?¡é?€??
    p. 457 Second VPN approach: Needs clarification that PPTP uses TCP Port 1723 at layer 4
    p. 570 CAPWAP Overview paragraph, third sentence: ?¡é?€??access controller?¡é?€?? instead of ?¡é?€??access server?¡é?€??
    p. 574 Highlighted Comment, third sentence (two changes): ?¡é?€??wireless client?¡é?€?? instead of ?¡é?€??wired client?¡é?€?? and ?¡é?€??WTP?¡é?€?? instead of ?¡é?€??WTS?¡é?€??

The acronym ?¡é?€??PAC?¡é?€?? is overloaded; used both as Kerberos ?¡é?€??Protected Attribute Certificate?¡é?€?? and as EAP-FAST ?¡é?€??Protected Access Credential?¡é?€??. I believe the text should point this out more clearly and add the EAP-FAST usage to the Index.

Finally, as a former cognitive psychology researcher and professor, I must take exception to the line of argument followed in the first paragraph of page 171. I have in mind the sentence: ?¡é?€??Many studies in the field of psychology and brain science have shown that humans can usually remember a string of seven things plus or minus two.?¡é?€?? I assume this is in reference to George Miller?¡é?€??s classic paper: The Magical Number Seven, Plus or Minus Two: Some Limits on Our Capacity for Processing Information; originally published in The Psychological Review, 1956, vol. 63, pp 81-97. Miller?¡é?€??s thesis dealt with channel capacity limitations of various human sensory mechanisms, generally thought to be about 2.5 bits of information (hence, 7 +/- 2 ?¡é?€??chunks?¡é?€?? of unrelated input). He was not addressing our ability to memorize information, or with issues related to later recall of previously learned material. (That?¡é?€??s a whole set of different issues, but, another time?¡é?€?|) I certainly agree with the general conclusion drawn in the paragraph; namely that long, nonsensical passwords are usually impractical. However, I think the reference to ?¡é?€??seven things plus or minus two?¡é?€?? should be removed.

• While I have limited to no study of psychology as the esteemed last poster in this thread, is it possible that the reference to 7+-2 refers instead to management related theory.

In graduate school, it was where we studied the span of control theory and thus the reference to 7+-2 as the number of subordinates that a manager could effectively oversee.

I admit that I haven't got to that part of the CWSP study guide, as I am still in the working through the early chapters.

Just my input on the subject.

• I was hoping to keep a running list of errata or confusing statements and this seems like the best thread to do it on.

One page 556 in the figure 18.6 they refer to the AP as "Autonomous AP" where as the discussion is about centralized WLAN management and even in the previous diagram figure 18.5 they refer to the "Lightweight AP" which makes a great deal more sense for this diagram as well.

As an aside manager is spelled wrong twice is the diagram.

Yet another confusing diagram. On page 560 they are referring to the Unified WLAN Architecture and that means where the Access Controller and L2/L3 switch are combined into one device. Hence the term unified, yet they show a wireless access controller being connected to the Unified AC/L2-L3 Switch.

• By (Deleted User)

Yet another confusing diagram. On page 560 they are referring to the Unified WLAN Architecture and that means where the Access Controller and L2/L3 switch are combined into one device. Hence the term unified, yet they show a wireless access controller being connected to the Unified AC/L2-L3 Switch

Hi M/Q

I think that diagram is showing with the dotted lines ------- and the arrows, the MIGRATION from the NON-unified to the unified.

• Thanks, he says humbly as that is very apparent now.

• Page 571 is discussing the relationship between access controllers and wireless termination points. Three times in the first two paragraphs it uses the acronym AP instead of AC.

Just to add confusion on page 562 in the note there is a comment, I quote " This chapter will endeavor to use WTP when discussing CAPWAP specific features or where the distinction between AP and WTP is beneficial"

I fail to see why AP is then used throughout the next several pages where CAPWAP is being intimately discussed. Even the illustrations are diagrammed as WTP/AP. Not trying to be picky, but this is a detailed subject. IMO, one would want to stay true to the context or major highlighted points that were provided before the details are presented. ????

Page 574, the note refers to a wired client (should be wireless) that is communicating to an Ethernet based server in the data center. Otherwise why would the 802.11 PHY be involved? Next sentence has WTS which should be WTP for Wireless Termination point.

Page i and ii of introduction refer to Autonomous, Distributed and Integrated wireless technology, where as in Chapter 18 it is not referenced as Integrated but Centralized. IMO it would make sense to remain consistent throughout the book.

• In CWSP second edition the explanation given oh SSH remote port forwarding is confusing and incorrect.
    Remote port forwarding "forwards traffic coming to a remote port to a specified local port. For example, all traffic coming to port 1234 on the server (host) could be forwarded to port 23 on the client (localhost)."

Example:

Local_host_A runs a WebServer
    Remote_host_B runs a ssh Server

From Local_host_A you start a ssh session to Remote_host_B with the purpose of forwarding all traffic coming to remote port 100 ( but it could be any port ) to local port 80 ( the web server on Local_host_A ). So if you are sitting in front of Remote_host_B and you start a web browser and you point it to http://127.0.0.1:100, the request and all the traffic will be forwarded to the web server on Local_host_A through a secure tunnel.

Hope it helps.

Page 1 of 1