Forum

• Just trying to get something straight. On page 391 of the CWSP study guide, in the text, there are two phases for the TKIP key-mixing. Phase 1 requires TK, TA, and most significant 4 bytes of TSC to produce the TTAK. Then in phase 2 the TTAK along with the TA and 2 least significant bytes of the TSC are mixed to form a 104 bit key.

On the next page there is a diagram that shows the entire process. What I am trying to understand is that per the diagram the TK is shown to be used twice, in phase 1 mixing as well as phase 2 mixing.

This introduces the point of contention, as the text does not mention the Temporal Key (TK) being used in both mixing phases. I have researched this on a few different white papers and have made an assumption that the text should read TK instead of TA. But, I would appreciate a confirmation of that fact.

I offer this link as a reference to what I have found through my research.

http://www.kjhole.com/Standards/WiFi/WiFi-PDF/WLAN7alt.pdf

My reason for asking is that it becomes a somewhat confusing issue if one gets into the functional logic.

Edit: I have read another thread where this was originally brought up, but no answer was given. So I hope it is appropriate to ask again.

Page 1 of 1