Forum

• Can we use (in present or in future) RF-id technology to secure WLANs. If yes, can you give your opinion on how we can use RF-id. What will be the weaknesses and limitations of using RF-id for security.

I need your opinions as I want to present this idea in my thesis.

• Hi optimumrisk,

first let me congratulate u on coming up with a very good idea for ur thesis. I can think of an solution to secure wireless LAN's using Rf-id's. It is though just theoritical and i dont know the difficulties that might arise while implementing these.

Scenario: regulating the output power of the Ap to reduce coverage area as a means to secure wireless lan. the AP can be installed with an transducer chip which receives signal from a remote sensor installed at certain parts of the buildings like windows next to the parking lot or the ones overseeing the road .As soon as the electromagnetic energy with a particular frequency hits the sensor(say 802.11b/g range).The sensor gets activated and sends the data to the particular AP fitted with the transducer chip to reduce the output power automatically.

Hope this helps.Suggestions or constructive criticism about the above scenario are welcome

Page 1 of 1