Forum

• http://www.wi-fi.com/news/010807-wifi-protected-setup/en/

What do you guys think?

Here's the whitepaper:

http://www.wi-fi.org/files/uploaded_files/wp_18_20070108_Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup_WP_FINAL.pdf

Devinator

• By (Deleted User)

They probably made Scott Turner a bit happier . ;-)

The first podcast in the Learning Center talked about the need for this very thing.

I think it is COOL. Hope it works 8)

BTW:

All Wi-Fi CERTIFIED APs with Wi-Fi Protected Setup possess Registrar capability; additionally, the Registrar can reside on any device on the WLAN. A Registrar that resides on the AP is referred to as an internal Registrar. A Registrar that resides on another device on the network is referred to as an external Registrar. A Wi-Fi Protected Setup network can support multiple Registrars on a single WLAN.

Is this using SIP (Session Initialization Protocol)?

• I'm about 25 pages into the first 110 page doc (there's 3 docs). This is going to be a very neat thing, but you won't believe how much complexity goes into making something so simple. As an example, when you use an external Registrar with multiple WPS APs, it's like having an, "Enterprise class SOHO WLANs for Dummies." Oh yeah, forget about RADIUS...now they're using UPnP. Look for the details of this new specification to be in the next revision of the CWSP exam objectives, courseware, etc.

Devinator

• This is a SOHO specification that isn't designed for the enterprise so why would it be on the next CWSP exam? This seems like it should be on the Wireless# exam if any.

• First, CWSP covers SOHO, SMB, and Enterprise WLAN security models, concepts, and mechanisms. Second, it's my guess that WPS will be implemented in wVoIP phones very soon, and that will mean that it leaks from SOHO into SMB in a hurry.

Devin

• I think this technology is definately needed to accelerate the use of wireless LANS in the home and SMBs. However does anyone think that simpifying the security to allow any tom, dick or harry to be able to securely deploy a wireless LAN solution kinda takes the requirement of needing to actually understand wireless LAN security away from the professionals?

• devinator Escribi?3:

I'm about 25 pages into the first 110 page doc (there's 3 docs). This is going to be a very neat thing, but you won't believe how much complexity goes into making something so simple. As an example, when you use an external Registrar with multiple WPS APs, it's like having an, "Enterprise class SOHO WLANs for Dummies." Oh yeah, forget about RADIUS...now they're using UPnP. Look for the details of this new specification to be in the next revision of the CWSP exam objectives, courseware, etc.

Devinator

What are the names of the 110 pages doc (3 docs), who wrote them and were can I find them? The link is only 14 pages for general info as opposed to technical specs?

• Dev / others -

The links provided above are throwing a 404 error on me, am I the only one? I'm trying to find some good white papers on WPS online, however most I find are either very bland, or require some sort of rediculous membership fee to download.

Anyone have anything(technical) we can review? I know my luck I would get every WPS question possible on the CWSP...want to make sure I have the resources to answer them :D

Thanks!

• Look for "Wi-Fi CERTIFIED?¡é???¡é for Wi-Fi Protected Setup: Easing the User Experience for Home and Small Office Wi-Fi???? Networks" (free registration required)

http://www.cwnpzone.com/members/whitepapers.asp

Page 1 of 1