Forum

• By (Deleted User)

It took me awhile to find a reference to this and when I did, I found out I was wrong.

In the courseware for the Cisco Unified Wireless Networking course, I found this statement:

When the external antenna is enabled, the software will disable the internal antenna.

So, there is no sensor in the AP1000 series APs that detects if you have an external antenna plugged in -- sorry about that, my bad.

If you have an AP1020 or AP1030 and add external antennas and enable them in the controller's config, then the internal antennas are disabled and the configured external RP-TNC connectors are enabled. Otherwise it just uses the internal antennas. You don't have to worry about this with any other lightweight Cisco APs because they are either internal-only antennas or external-only connectors. Currently, no other shipping Cisco Lightweight-capable AP has the ability to do both internal and external antennas.

I cannot provide you a link to this document since it is training material and I didn't find that information specifically stated on Cisco.com. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.... or not.

Hope that helps and sorry for the prior misinformation. I originally thought the AP1020s and AP1030s automatically detected external antennas though. Learn something new every day.

Joel

Page 1 of 1