Forum

• Ok, in preparation for the CWNP/CWSP, I am going to purchase a new laptop.

I plan on installing VMware and creating VM's for wireless as well as hard ethernet pentesting, although the wireless is the most important right now.

I need to know what are the current best tools for Wireless vulnerability and penetration testing?

Thanks,

Ray - CISSP, CEH

• Backtrack 3 or 4. I suggest dual booting as VM can be more of a hassle then you want to deal with.

~K

• Snaglpus00 Escribi?3:

Backtrack 3 or 4. I suggest dual booting as VM can be more of a hassle then you want to deal with.

~K

Actually I prefer VM so I don't have to physically reboot. Usually there are tools that I use on both Linux and Windows.

My host OS will be windows and the VM's will probably be Backtrack and WinXP.

I've had very few problems with VMware in the past.

Ray

• I personally had a hard time trying to get VM to get control of a USB based wlan card to grab radio tap info. Not to mention trying to use a built in wireless card. Also to do injection, I hope you can recompile drivers to get that to work in VM.

BackTrack has a HCL that you can look to see what cards will even work with BT3/4.

Also since VM tricks the network stack into NATing or briding the interface doing real pen testing may not be as reliable with a setup like this.

If you want to try Backtrack with VM,you can download the free VM player and Bagside has a VM applicance that runs backtrack...google it.

~K

• Snaglpus00 Escribi?3:

I personally had a hard time trying to get VM to get control of a USB based wlan card to grab radio tap info. Not to mention trying to use a built in wireless card. Also to do injection, I hope you can recompile drivers to get that to work in VM.

BackTrack has a HCL that you can look to see what cards will even work with BT3/4.

Also since VM tricks the network stack into NATing or briding the interface doing real pen testing may not be as reliable with a setup like this.

If you want to try Backtrack with VM,you can download the free VM player and Bagside has a VM applicance that runs backtrack...google it.

~K

Yea, we had problems with USB on WinXP and VMware WS 6. It's much better now.

We used VMware exclusively during pentesting of ethernet wired systems.

Some of us had Windows as the host OS with a VMware Linux client and some had Linux based host with a Windows client..

Thanks for the info...

Ray

Page 1 of 1