Forum

• I agree to the confusion why depricate WPA-TKIP first, I think they could easily drop WEP the end of this year with no screaming. Its shocking the companies I see still using WEP. As for still allowing mixed mode I think if I understand correctly that is WPA2-AES and WPA-TKIP. Well thats not aggressive at all as you will just use the lesser and you still have WPA-TKIP.

Its also another rewrite for the standard aswell or is the WFA getting bigger than the IEEE. WEP was part of the 802.11 1999 standard and I am assuming is still in the 802.11 2007 standard? I always get confused if TKIP is part of 802.11i as its all about WPA2, WPA was an interim solution. So theres another part, I havent done my CWSP so please forgive me. I gues when they incorporate the 802.11n standard into the 802.11-2007 standard they can drop WEP out.

Should it be simply stop selling products that use these old standards on those dates or will the manufacturers just drag out the end of life dates for retiring products, it is only a software update after all so how will it be managed and policed. The focus then will be on hacking WPA2-AES which is only a question of time in theory.

I understand why open wireless is still allowed I guess that for things like web authentication and event wireless. No keys to manage. And how long will it take for the technology refresh to see this rubbish gone, after all we still decommissioning original 802.11 FHSS WLANs from warehouses, ok its a year since I saw one but I know a few clients I have spoken with were in no hurry to get rid.

I guess it just takes a major scare to get people motivated, I might start driving round London and hacking wireless, only to help those companies that are unaware realise how vulnerable thay are with WEP and WPA-TKRAP.

Page 1 of 1