Forum

• By (Deleted User)

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to calculate the wifi attenuation loss through a tree. I understand all trees are different in shape, size, canopy blah blah... But there must exist a method for calculating expected loss or for predicting propagation through trees?
    2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz

• Since at least part of the path is outdoors, the more important consideration will be the Fresnel zone.   Try for as clear a shot, meaning clear LOS, as you can get.

• I understand all trees are different in shape, size, canopy blah blah…
    Correct -- size, location, shape, deciduous, evergreen, precipitation, leaf volume, time of year, number of trees, and countless other variables make this extremely variable.
    But there must exist a method for calculating expected loss or for predicting propagation through trees?

Because of the reasons that you pointed out, there is no standard method.  If you measure attenuation through a bare tree in April, it will be different when the leaves are full in September.  And the signal after snow has piled up on the branches will be different from the other two.
    The best way to account for loss through a tree, in my opinion, is to avoid the tree.  I've had to support such an installation, and it ain't fun until you do it right.

• "The best way to account for loss through a tree, in my opinion, is to avoid the tree."

Which is what I meant.   I should have been a little more emphatic.

Page 1 of 1