Forum

• I am using CommView for Wifi for protocol analysis and working through trying to identify all the different frame types and exchanges and see what they look like in practice.

I have a client which I power up whilst running the protocol analyser.

I see an initial MNGT/Probe Request frame to broadcast address (what I expected). I then see a probe response from the nearby AP (also what I expected). This exchange is then repeated.

I then see another MNGT/Probe Request frame to broadcast address followed by three probe response frames.

The above repeats with various numbers of probe responses coming back to a request and then eventually we get a MNGT/AUTH frame and off we go and authenticate/associate.

I am just wondering if this is expected behaviour?

I would have expected the station to try and authenticate as soon as it received the first probe response.

Thanks

Andrew
    CWAP hopeful...

• Hi Andrew of UK:

I see this all the time.

A 2.4 GHz (DSSS, HR/DSSS, and ERP) client in the USA typically will send a multicast probe request on each of the eleven channels, waiting a moment after each one to receive any response(s).

A beacon producer (access point or IBSS client) that hears a probe request will send a unicast probe response, and retransmit until it gets an ACK or reaches its retransmit limit.

The less expected part comes when the transmission on, for example, channel 6 is heard with varying degrees of signal strength on channels 2 through 10, prompting probe responses from beacon producers in all those channels, and sometimes leaving a trail of retransmission attempts.

After probing all the channels the client picks the service set that is most appealing to itself based on potentially a long list of features. Fortunately each probe response carries with it the channel number of the sender.

Since a protocol analyzer can only tune to one channel at a time, and yet receives some but not all frames transmitted on nearby channels, sorting out the reason for each captured frame is a challenge in deed.

This is not so messy in the 5 GHz OFDM world where the channels barely overlap if at all.

I hope this helps. Thanks. /criss

• Hi Criss

Thanks for the response.

sorting out the reason for each captured frame is a challenge in deed.

This is the reason for attempting CWAP - new challenge needed!

Regards

Andrew

Page 1 of 1