Forum

• I would like to know, what is the bench mark of acceptable signal strength for the AP to associate with the clients properly and transfer the data clearly without any interruption.

• Why there is no reply for the query "WHAT IS THE BENCH MARK OF SIGNAL STRENGTH FOR A CLIENT TO ASSOCIATE WITH AP AND TRANSFER DATA WITHOUT ANY INTERRUPTION"???

I tried searching in CWNA study guide and other few wireless books but I couldn't able to find any details about this.

Actually its my customer's requiremnt and I must have to answer my customer "WHAT IS THE BENCH MARK OF SIGNAL STRENGTH FOR A CLIENT TO ASSOCIATE WITH AP AND TRANSFER DATA WITHOUT ANY INTERRUPTION"

• I'm new at all this.
    In the CWAP book, it states that a baseline is more like a heart beat of the wireless network. Eveyone will be different. If you do a site servey for 802.11b at 11mb. Then your baseline should be just that! And from there, it will change. I belive that your customer should have more of a feeling of what is ok and what is not ok.
    There are two baselines:
    1. how hard the hardware is working
    2. how much data is running over the network
    It will be a fine balance between getting a high working rate, and over working the wireless links!

Phil

• Actually we are using Proxim AP. We are still using 802.11 only. Not even 802.11b or 802.11g.

And we are using Proxim Range LAN2 PCMCIA card and proxim's default software for site survey to find the signal strength as well as the packets transfer rate.

At some points we are getting better packets transfer rate and 0% of Signal Strength.

And they wanted to know what should be the signal strength for a client to associate to an AP and transfer data without any interruption.

They want it in number. Say 0% or 5% or 10% or somthing like that only.

• I would think that the hardware have that: See if Proxim has a threshhold for the % of signal that is needed to be a 100% working link.
    You might find that there isn't, as there is SO many #'s that came into play.
    Good luck
    Phil

• Hi Kajen of Singapore:

You should get acquainted with the IEEE 802.11 standards documents. All the IEEE 802 free stuff is available at this URL:

http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/portfolio.html

The DSSS PHY is described in clause 15. Your question might be answered by section 15.4.8.4 which includes the following:

The CCA (clear channel assessment) shall be TRUE if there is no energy detect or carrier sense. The CCA parameters are subject to the following criteria:

a) The energy detection threshold shall be

</= ?¡é?€?¡°80 dBm for TX power > 100 mW,
    ?¡é?€?¡°76 dBm for 50 mW < TX power </= 100 mW, and
    ?¡é?€?¡°70 dBm for TX power </= 50 mW.

I hope this helps. Thanks. /criss

Page 1 of 1