Forum

• Do you know of any switch that can do power over ethernet (POE)? Thanks.

• Ethernet switch or Wireless LAN switch? They're way different.

For Ethernet switches, the Cisco 3560 can do 802.3af compliant PoE. Make SURE that you go with a standards-based PoE system unless there's a strongly compelling reason not to.

For Wireless switches, Airespace, Trapeze, Aruba, and others handle 802.3af on their integrated ports.

Devinator

• Devinator Escribi?3:

Ethernet switch or Wireless LAN switch? They're way different.

For Ethernet switches, the Cisco 3560 can do 802.3af compliant PoE. Make SURE that you go with a standards-based PoE system unless there's a strongly compelling reason not to.

For Wireless switches, Airespace, Trapeze, Aruba, and others handle 802.3af on their integrated ports.

Devinator

Thanks very much for your prompt response. I guess I want Ethernet switches to connect Access Points (PoE). What we want to do is install Access Points on the ceiling and we don't want to have the ethernet cables hanging from the Access Points to the switches. So, we were thinking if there is such PoE switches would solve the hanging cables problem. Have you heard something about the Rejector or Injector? If you don't know what it is, I am not sure of it either. Thanks again for your responses to other posts, too.

• Are you planning to use thin access points (with a WLAN switch) or thick access points (with an Ethernet switch)?

If you're using thick access points with a PoE capable Ethernet switch, then you won't need a PoE injector. There are mid-span patch panels (multi-port injectors), and single-port injectors. Much good information can be found here:

http://www.powerdsine.com/Products/Midspan/

You might consider purchasing the CWNA Study Guide, which will give you all of the information you're likely to need in this area.

thanks,

Devinator

• Devinator Escribi?3:

Are you planning to use thin access points (with a WLAN switch) or thick access points (with an Ethernet switch)?

If you're using thick access points with a PoE capable Ethernet switch, then you won't need a PoE injector. There are mid-span patch panels (multi-port injectors), and single-port injectors. Much good information can be found here:

http://www.powerdsine.com/Products/Midspan/

You might consider purchasing the CWNA Study Guide, which will give you all of the information you're likely to need in this area.

thanks,

Devinator

Thanks very much for the information and quick response.

• By (Deleted User)

Just for clarification, ethernet switches (real switches) have been around for quite some time.

"Wireless switches" are not true switches since they just bridge the WLAN to the regular wired LAN. These are now just called "controllers" since they are effectively controlling APs and client access from the WLAN to the wired LAN. There are however, several vendors that still call them "WLAN switches".

Joel

• This is why I like Joel. CONTROLLERS, not switches. Thank you. It's about time people started using the right terms.

D-Link has the DES-1316 if you are looking for something inexpensive. 16 ports with 8 capable of 802.3af PoE. It's only $500 retail and you can find it for under $400 at online retailers.

• "right terms"? says who exactly? :-) please show me where the "industry" has officially renamed "WLAN Switches" to "WLAN Controllers". I don't disagree that some in the industry are now using the term "controller", like Cisco, Colubris, Aruba, etc....however....

Trapeze, Symbol, DLink, and Nortel, and some others use the term "Switch" still.

Devinator

• All:

"Wireless switch" and "wireless controller" have no standard or official meanings. Marketing people can use these terms as they please, and they have. No one such device that I have seen bridges anything but Ethernet segments and the bridging function is not essential to its mission as a device to control one or more 802.11 access points.

Every IEEE 802.11 access point that I have seen bridges at least one 802.11 segment and at least one 802.3 segment and can rightly be called an IEEE 802.1D bridge. No one calls them bridges, but throw in NAT/DHCP functions and we all call them "wireless routers".

And if ever bridging is done in hardware rather than in software -- well, the marketing people decided we should call that a "switch".

I also like Joel, and Ben, and Devin.

I hope this helps. Thanks. /criss

• I liked that last comment! :-D That was funny.

Thanks for the concise (as always) point of view. We appreciate all you do for the program Criss - you're a valuable guy to know.

Devinator

Page 1 of 1